Lots and Lots of Hawks

My daughter attends school at Scott Park, and for the last couple of days, I've noticed dozens of hawks riding the thermals when I drop her off in the morning. Not just one or two, but dozens, more than I've ever seen before. It looks like they're over the solar field.

Any idea of what's up with all the hawks?

created by Anniecski on Oct 31, 2017 at 01:23:01 pm     Comments: 6

Most likely Turkey Vultures and not hawks. Meaning something is dead there.

posted by In_vin_veritas on Oct 31, 2017 at 03:06:31 pm     #   1 person liked this

They are migrating south for the winter, the other morning I counted over 100 fly past our house in the morning in less than 15 minutes. We live near the water so it is a popular route for the birds

posted by OldTimer on Oct 31, 2017 at 03:23:35 pm     #

All is well.......they just arrived here in Naples Fl. They are hovering around a new Mexican restaurant here.

posted by gunz1 on Oct 31, 2017 at 03:32:13 pm     #   1 person liked this

Their migration formation is called a "kettle." They make a rough tornado shape while they whirl around. I've seen about 100 at a time out in the country. It's beautiful to watch.

posted by viola on Oct 31, 2017 at 07:26:42 pm     #

Mid March is the date for the buzzards return to Hinckley, Ohio and am wondering if this might be the start of these birds migrating in this locale at election time to look over the carrion of our esteemed local politicians. Could be the beginning of an annual celebration with drinks and bell ringing watching the corpses get picked clean on Nov. 8th. Toledo City council sure has a fattened up roster for the vultures.

posted by Mariner on Nov 01, 2017 at 09:57:07 am     #

They're always around the Point. One of their favorite "perches" is one of the high power transmission towers along NB 75 on the east side of the highway just north of 280. I've seen dozens if not hundreds perched on the tower at the same time.

They're always riding the thermals over the skies of Point Place. Sometimes they'll come down to treetop level - they are very large birds indeed.

Also have a pair of Bald Eagles that routinely fly over my neighborhood at a low level. They are a magnificent sight to see.

posted by Foodie on Nov 01, 2017 at 10:09:46 am     #