City of Toledo Leaf Collection

Just received a text alert that leaf collection will begin in 43615 tomorrow, November 2nd. Tell that to the trees. Which haven't even changed color yet, let alone started dropping leaves. This just underscores how damn stupid the City administration is.

If there's anything I hate its a leaf pile frozen solid, sitting snow covered at the curb all winter.

When they do come down looks like Ill be hauling them to Clean wood and paying to properly dispose of them.

What's wrong with these people!?

created by holland on Nov 01, 2017 at 12:31:24 pm     Comments: 23

They'll make a second pass. Used to be we'd be 70-80% done with leaves by Nov 1st. Now it's closer to Dec 1st. I mowed my last mow mid-December last year. Times are changing...

posted by SensorG on Nov 01, 2017 at 12:48:30 pm     #

According to Blade, one time only. But your info makes more sense. And yes, the weather patterns are different. Spring comes 6 to 10 days earlier and fall is extended by about the same. This year even longer extensions.

posted by holland on Nov 01, 2017 at 01:23:08 pm     #

A heck of a lot of leaves have fallen in our neighborhood. The schedule I looked at showed a second pickup.

posted by slowsol on Nov 01, 2017 at 01:28:49 pm     #

holland posted at 02:23:08 PM on Nov 01, 2017:

We shall see. The past say... 5 years or so, the promised second pass has largely depended on when your first pass was, and weather. 2 of the last 5 years, we had leaves all winter in 43614.

70% are still on the trees, easily.

PH2 promised a second pickup when interview recently.

posted by justread on Nov 01, 2017 at 02:35:56 pm     #

My area of 43614 has always gotten a second pass.

posted by SensorG on Nov 01, 2017 at 05:52:35 pm     #

I understand Carty's has too.

posted by justread on Nov 01, 2017 at 06:15:56 pm     #   2 people liked this

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/11/19/do-not-rake-your-leaves/19266079/ <-- I'm giving this a try.

posted by endcycle on Nov 02, 2017 at 11:53:53 am     #

I would try that, but I enjoy my relationship with the neighbors downwind more than I enjoy the lawn.

posted by justread on Nov 03, 2017 at 04:48:48 am     #

Me too and that's not a Hollywood, NY entertainment industry some guy who could have made my career was forward to me pile on. Do not share the west coast affinity for slugs and other earth critters only because its a different way to do something.

posted by Mariner on Nov 03, 2017 at 06:27:49 am     #

*I do not... (had to expand 'cuz that read like a command from the bridge)

posted by Mariner on Nov 03, 2017 at 06:31:25 am     #

justread posted at 05:48:48 AM on Nov 03, 2017:

My downwind neighbors voted for Trump, soooo.... I'm also gonna start a big ol' open-air compost pile at their fenceline, too.

(kidding)
(((mostly)))

posted by endcycle on Nov 03, 2017 at 08:53:34 am     #

#resistraking

posted by justread on Nov 03, 2017 at 10:33:59 am     #

Very well. Keep her so.

posted by justread on Nov 03, 2017 at 10:41:00 am     #

Compost piles don't have an odor unless you are composting grass clippings and not incorporating (turning) the clippings into the pile.

posted by holland on Nov 03, 2017 at 11:33:02 am     #

I plan on composting grass clippings and not turning the clippings into the pile unless my neighbor signs a DNC Loyalty Pledge (tm2016 HRC Campaign).

posted by endcycle on Nov 03, 2017 at 12:53:15 pm     #   1 person liked this

I am a member of Antifall. We are against leaves and the end of summer.

posted by justread on Nov 03, 2017 at 02:08:37 pm     #   7 people liked this

justread posted at 03:08:37 PM on Nov 03, 2017:

I am a member of Antifall. We are against leaves and the end of summer.

Black Leaves Matter, you autumnal denier.

posted by JoeyGee on Nov 03, 2017 at 04:44:11 pm     #   3 people liked this

endcycle posted at 01:53:15 PM on Nov 03, 2017:

I'm sure Donna Brazille can assist you with that.

posted by Foodie on Nov 04, 2017 at 03:45:25 am     #

Hadn't realized was a charter member of Antifall until this post. It is consistent and know I don't have to admit to being anti guvmint, anti city hall, anti any and everything to all of the regulars here at TT. That is the sailor's outlook because "All Is Lost." The scheduling of leaf pick-up calls to mind looking out our window at a street sweeper working in the driving rain. Was kind of comical. Unlike house painters I guess they can't send them home when the weather doesn't co-operate. So the black leaves will get picked up with the rest of them if they are off the trees and at the curb or not. Stand up for the union label. (or bend over if you find that position more comfortable)

posted by Mariner on Nov 04, 2017 at 06:32:01 am     #

Right as rain the no parking signs have been posted for two days and the crew is out there this morning picking up non-existant leaves. Unreal. Would you people please fire their boss on Tues. at the polls.

posted by Mariner on Nov 06, 2017 at 09:46:32 am     #   1 person liked this

I took a photo Saturday of the leaf pickup crews and their tiny little pile under massive still-green canopies of leaves. The leaves that fall this week will be sitting out there for weeks now, blowing around the neighborhood. They used to do a much better job. I talked to one of the workers. They are doing what they are told to do. I suggested that they should go ahead and plow the snow before it falls also, since they are collecting the leaves before they fall. We agreed that it "was not his problem."

There is no logical difference between collecting leaves that aren't there, and plowing snow that isn't there. Never mind when the NEED occurs. Do it on your schedule.

posted by justread on Nov 06, 2017 at 10:51:02 am     #   2 people liked this

Meanwhile in Maumee, they have come by twice in my neighborhood to get the leaves of which everyone had at the curb and we are scheduled again in three weeks. It's awesome!

posted by Molsonator on Nov 06, 2017 at 11:41:59 am     #