Downtown Restaurant lineage (Huron St) question

My Brother's Place is the currerntly where Pete's Boardroom used to be, correct? Where was Diva's? What was the name of the restaurant Jimmy Jackson owned and where was that located? Where was Dyers?

created by BulldogBuckeye on Dec 01, 2017 at 11:09:38 am     Comments: 16

Jimmy Jakson's place was in fact 'Jimmy Jackson's' located where Our Brothers place is. Diva's never existed, but a place called Diva was where Cilantro's may or may not be open any given day.

posted by In_vin_veritas on Dec 01, 2017 at 11:23:21 am     #   1 person liked this

Diva was the restaurant that remodeled 329 N. Huron before a long line of people pretended to operate restaurants there. Most of which were poor uses of the space. The rest were poor uses of ANY space.

posted by justread on Dec 01, 2017 at 11:29:15 am     #   2 people liked this

"Jimmy Jackson's" ?? you sure 'bout that, Clark?

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Dec 01, 2017 at 11:54:20 am     #

Diva was a truly beautiful spot. 15 years too early, perhaps. Nothing since, in that space, has made sense. Itís a shame. At least we now have Registry Bistro, which, on some level, is evolved from diva.

posted by ahmahler on Dec 01, 2017 at 12:58:02 pm     #

A little bit about Dyers from the awesome https://www.toledohistorybox.com/ https://www.toledohistorybox.com/2016/06/10/remember-these-toledo-restaurants/

posted by TrilbyGuy on Dec 01, 2017 at 12:59:40 pm     #

Yes, Brother's/Jackson's is in the same space as the Boardroom.

posted by JohnnyMac on Dec 01, 2017 at 02:16:18 pm     #

Diva was a very nice upscale restaurant. Since that time there was a Taco place for a while and Andrew Z operated his pizza place on the upper level with them for a couple weeks after he got evicted from his other restaurants and Martini and Nuzzi tried making a go of it twice and now Cilantro is there and I don't see them lasting too long either.

Jimmy Jackson had a restaurant for a while where my brothers place currently is and IIRC it had a New Orleans themed name. Before that Sidelines had a restaurant downtown in that same location.

posted by classylady on Dec 01, 2017 at 03:34:42 pm     #

Was it Pete's Boardroom or Ansara's Boardroom? Or maybe both at different times.

I used to eat lunch there occasionally when I worked downtown and remember it being called Ansara's Boardroom at some point.

Also, I thought the restaurant was named Jackson's, not Jimmy Jackson's.

BTW - my husband and I still swear that the steak we at at Jackson's was the best either of us has ever had. It had some sort of Jack Daniel's glaze and was amazing!

posted by mom2 on Dec 01, 2017 at 04:05:25 pm     #

The Boardroom was owned by a nice man named Pete Mihas in the early 1980s when we first moved here. It was our favorite place. The place was full of "movers and shakers". One time we even ate at the table next to Mayor Donna Owens!!! The atmosphere was great and the ribeye was out of this world. Unfortunately, Pete was stabbed and killed in the alley out behind the restaurant one night in the early 90s(?). Botched robbery. I really miss the old-school charm of that place.

posted by Toledostrong on Dec 01, 2017 at 06:14:55 pm     #   1 person liked this

Loved that 16oz ribeye Pete served.

He used to say ..."you don't like it, you don't pay for it".

posted by Grumpy on Dec 01, 2017 at 07:47:55 pm     #

Dyer's was awesome, even as a kid. Probably one of the best in town for a long time, but it just sort of faded away with downtown.

As good as The Colony restaurant, run by Eddie Lee, used to be.

posted by THB on Dec 02, 2017 at 12:34:46 am     #

Sidelines was where My Brother's Place is currently before Jimmy Jackson put his restaurant there. I wish they would have opened up a location in a different spot downtown, I like their food and they had some great lunch specials.

The place on Huron I really miss is George's City Club. I was only there at lunch time but they did a great lunch time business and the food was really good. George sold the place in the mid to late 90's when he retired and it went downhill with the new owner and closed a couple years later. I remember seeing his obituary earlier this year.

posted by jamesteroh on Dec 02, 2017 at 07:51:06 am     #   1 person liked this

George's had a lemon chicken entree that was excellent. I know it doesn't sound that spectacular, but however they prepared it turned it into something special. I liked sitting up there on the second floor and looking out at the city.

posted by Toledostrong on Dec 02, 2017 at 08:59:02 am     #

My first job was downtown, summer of '69, 17, freshly graduated, stuffing envelopes for The Tuberculosis Society. I have no idea why but, at some point, the boss took me and another person I worked with to The City Club for lunch. I was so out of my element, I remember walking there and then a haze with a few faces in it.

I worked at K&N Auto Parts on Jefferson for 6-8 months after that. Don't think it was that boss that took us, but she did love Linck's. We were always getting lunch from there. And Coney Island. And that little hole in the wall hamburg place (on 17th?). B&K?

posted by nana on Dec 03, 2017 at 01:09:49 pm     #

so....where was Dyer's located?

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Dec 04, 2017 at 12:33:17 pm     #

BulldogBuckeye posted at 12:33:17 PM on Dec 04, 2017:

so....where was Dyer's located?

About where the Swamp Shop is at Huntington Center.

posted by TrilbyGuy on Dec 04, 2017 at 12:40:55 pm     #