Hensville's Nine to be rebranded

Here's a thought I hope they take into consideration with the redo. When you have a restaurant/bar in a ballpark or stadium, surprise, it should be completely sports related. Don't stick just a toe in the water and name it something too hip like Nine, so maybe they think it's for nine innings of baseball. But maybe it should be a sports bar, or, gee, I dunno a craft brewery. It sure would be nice if Maumee Bay added an additional bar there to compete with the downtown foot traffic. Or a new brewery, whatever -- just not a place that serves a ten-dollar burger with onion jam and really shitty fries. Oh, I'm sorry, frites.

created by westsidebob on Jan 12, 2018 at 02:30:47 pm     Comments: 30

I love MBBC and they've been doing some amazing one offs, their crowler release party was a blast, but they are really just around the corner from the Nines.

Toledo (area) is up to 9 breweries/meaderies and could easily support a few more. Nines would be a great place for a new one.

posted by SensorG on Jan 12, 2018 at 03:02:41 pm     #

Toledo could support a lot more. The city is just as big as Cincy, which has dozens. Toledo is in need of a major player: something even bigger than MBBC, or an expansion from Cleveland, Cincy, Columbus or -- gasp -- western Michigan or Detroit.

posted by westsidebob on Jan 12, 2018 at 03:18:47 pm     #

westsidebob posted at 03:18:47 PM on Jan 12, 2018:

A) Toledo is less than half the size of Cincinnati (metro area)
B) when you talk about a Rhinegeist or a Great Lakes, they are scaled to distribute. The local brewers make enough beer to service the area (MBBC excepted, and theyre only in OH and just in to MI) The LAST thing we need, is a extension tap house from a larger brewery. Ill drink Earnest over Great Lakes ANY and EVERY day. Bigger isnt better.
C) this taproom explosion is relatively recent, it will find its level-were not there yet. There is more room for growth.

posted by ahmahler on Jan 12, 2018 at 04:04:43 pm     #

Agreed! I dont want one of the big players moving in. We have a great brew community and wed support several more small breweries/tap rooms.

That said, if Hoof Hearted or JackieOs opened here locally, as my two favorite Ohio breweries, Id be in heaven.

posted by SensorG on Jan 12, 2018 at 04:24:29 pm     #   2 people liked this

ahmahler, I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. There is a need for a big brewer or brewers here (if you don't want to look at Cincy, look to Dayton, look to Grand Rapids, Mich., wherever). I hope it comes from here, but if no one steps up, it will come from afar and I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

posted by westsidebob on Jan 16, 2018 at 10:44:27 am     #

.....hopcat coming down to toledo would be okay.

they have these things called crack fries.

They are better than the hype.

posted by endcycle on Jan 16, 2018 at 04:23:31 pm     #

Yeah, we discussed Hopcat in a wishlist thread a little while back, and it seemed like they had a pretty big audience already in Toledo who would be ready to support them if they came. If anyone has an "in," I'd be happy to pledge my dollars to keep their sales numbers up from the get-go!

posted by Johio83 on Jan 16, 2018 at 04:28:03 pm     #

Hopcat has just undergone a pretty rapid expansion-They now have 16 locations in MI, IL, IN, MN...

Im thinking, the timing is right. Ill bet if you cold called the Corporate Headquarters, you could get an interested partner.

In 2015, BarFly Ventures secured $25 million in capital financing to support its effort to expand HopCat, which will open as many as 30 locations over the next several years.

posted by ahmahler on Jan 16, 2018 at 05:30:12 pm     #

Funny, I love HC AA but hate HC Grand Rapids.

posted by SensorG on Jan 16, 2018 at 05:46:23 pm     #

SensorG posted at 05:46:23 PM on Jan 16, 2018:

Funny, I love HC AA but hate HC Grand Rapids.

That is funny. The AA location is pretty great

posted by ahmahler on Jan 16, 2018 at 08:58:35 pm     #

And yet Cleveland has room for Southern Tier.

#whynottoledo

posted by westsidebob on Jan 18, 2018 at 12:43:19 pm     #

Why Southern Tier? I know Im repeating myself, but, Who cares about big craft breweries? Id much rather let the locals keep the local flavor. You know, keep Toledo weird. Southern Tier isnt that great, theyre fine, but they dont bring anything. Id rather the money spent in taprooms, stays with local brewers.

posted by ahmahler on Jan 18, 2018 at 06:57:18 pm     #   2 people liked this

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think it would be great to have a big brewer in town. Ideally, it would be homegrown talent, but, if that's not possible, I'm open to an out-of-towner. I think it would encourage even more local brewers to grow the scene. Our scene is good, but would love great.

posted by westsidebob on Jan 19, 2018 at 09:13:12 am     #

I think the advantage to a big well known out of town brewer/franchise is that it serves as an "eye opener" to other national brands (not just breweries, but restaurants, stores, etc.) that an area is revitalizing.

I know its not totally relevant but take Costco coming to Westgate 10 years ago. Had that not happened, that area would be nothing like it is today. But a company of their magnitude showing faith and taking a risk in the area brought in many other outlets over the past 10 years.

posted by Xbuckeyex on Jan 19, 2018 at 09:53:04 am     #   1 person liked this

Costco is a great example. Southern Tier isn't joining the Cleveland scene to squash the competition. They're joining the fun and making it even more legit than before.

posted by westsidebob on Jan 19, 2018 at 11:35:06 am     #

Westsidebob - something about your posts, they don't show up for me. They're blank and you name is in a 2pt font - strange

posted by SensorG on Jan 19, 2018 at 12:58:29 pm     #

SensorG posted at 12:58:29 PM on Jan 19, 2018:

Sounds like you have the "ignore" function in place for Westsidebob. If so, then click his username and then click the button for "unhide comments". Is "unhide" a real word?

May 2013 - Toledo Talk - The new ignore feature

posted by jr on Jan 19, 2018 at 01:25:51 pm     #

Thank JR!

posted by SensorG on Jan 19, 2018 at 01:33:13 pm     #

Not sure about unhide but here's one of my favs:

posted by Mariner on Jan 19, 2018 at 04:15:44 pm     #

This is too bad. I was going to open a bar a couple blocks down called "Seven," and try to garner the cute, but slightly less attractive market.

posted by justread on Jan 20, 2018 at 06:27:23 am     #   1 person liked this

posted by kam19 on Feb 06, 2018 at 06:25:58 pm     #

Sounds like a more hole-in-the-wall feel

posted by ckbeats21 on Feb 06, 2018 at 07:52:46 pm     #   1 person liked this

I am going to reserve judgement until I see the menu...

posted by upso on Feb 06, 2018 at 11:31:36 pm     #

What an original name..........................said no one ever

posted by Hoops on Feb 07, 2018 at 08:28:15 am     #

In Toledo, Oregon, a business exists called Holy Toledo Tavern & Spirits. They have spirit and we don't.

posted by jr on Feb 07, 2018 at 10:36:48 am     #

Hey jr. Interestingly, it's also a CASH ONLY bar. The site you linked above advises they have an ATM inside for non cash-carriers.

There was a recent thread that had a couple posts about a downtown bar putting a credit card service charge on tabs. I wonder what would happen if they went full cashless like this place?

Bringing this post back to the thread topic . . . I wish this new operation the same success they had with NINE. I can't wait for updates on the concept to see which established downtown businesses they will be copying. Will it be exactly like the Durty Bird? Frickers ? Maybe the Blarney?

Whatever concept bar and restaurant the County is funding with our tax dollars will get neither cash nor a swipe from me.

posted by jimavolt on Feb 07, 2018 at 11:43:41 am     #

I don't see this bar going to a cash only bar (I'm assuming you meant going cash only instead of cashless).

Having managed a downtown restaurant/bar business myself many years ago, I don't understand why a place that sells alcohol would want to be cash only.

I feel the benefits of accepting plastic far outweigh the credit card fees.

Main advantage is crime. If you get robbed you aren't out your credit card receipts. You don't have cash sitting around overnight waiting to get stolen until you can do the deposit the next day. You don't have to worry about an employee not ringing up a sale and pocketing the cash. You don't have the issue of an employee erring and giving out incorrect change to a customer or a customer claiming the employee gave them back the wrong amount of change.

Customers tend to spend more if they are using plastic than cash. If someone only has $50 on them they are going to be a lot more likely to have another drink using a credit card than having to use the ATM and pay a fee to withdraw the cash.

A lot of times corporate customers will have a company credit card and don't want to deal with having to keep track of a receipt and get reimbursed.

IME managing a bar and restaurant credit card customers tipped better than cash paying as well.

posted by classylady on Feb 07, 2018 at 12:44:18 pm     #

classylady posted at 12:44:18 PM on Feb 07, 2018:

I feel the benefits of accepting plastic far outweigh the credit card fees.

I'm assuming you've never heard of "skimming off the top"? Pretty easy to put a small percentage of cash sales in your pocket and not have Uncle Sam find out. Can't do that with credit card transactions (at least easily). But that's just what I've witnessed, knowing more than one bar owner personally.

posted by hunkytownsausage on Feb 07, 2018 at 01:15:39 pm     #

You need the skim to pay the vig.

posted by justread on Feb 07, 2018 at 05:32:29 pm     #   1 person liked this

I am familiar with the concept of owners skimming to prevent paying uncle Sam.

I've also had first hand experience with employees and managers skimming off the owner by pocketing cash and not ringing up cash sales.

posted by classylady on Feb 07, 2018 at 09:25:56 pm     #