Looking for GYM recommendations

i was looking online for information about Super Fitness, because they run a lot of commercials that state they only charge $19.95 a month. unfortunately they don't have a website, and almost all of the reviews online are giving them low scores.

I used to be a member of Central tennis & fitness but found they were overcharging my monthly credit card fees by an extra $20 a month (yikes!)

I'm just looking for something affordable and locally owned. Cleanliness and nice equipment an obvious plus.

created by upso on Apr 20, 2009 at 05:39:22 pm     Comments: 21

My daughter goes to SF and likes it. I know that's not much of an endorsment. But, as a cheaper and very effective option, try Beachbody's Power 90.

It is a nicely packaged fitness program that includes nothing new and rad; just good old common sense wrapped into a regimin.

I'm king of the skeptics but, It works!

In 2002 at age 47 I did the program for 90 days and lost 31 lbs, about 14% body fat and went down 4 pant sizes.

posted by Offshore on Apr 20, 2009 at 06:01:18 pm     #

wow! nice work!

posted by upso on Apr 20, 2009 at 09:05:42 pm     #

If you're a UToledo grad, then I believe they offer a good discounted rate, and their facilities are always great.
YMCA (I used to use the Perrysburg one the most) is also fantastic, has a nice free weight and machine area and offers classes that sounded interesting. Unfortunately, I would never have time for a class.

SuperFitness looks like a nice facility. I would only check to be sure that the 19$ price means that you can come anytime you want and however long you want. I know Bally's offered a similar deal, but the stipulation was that you could only use their facilities on Mon, Wed, Fri -- or something equally ridiculous.

For home use, the P90X system (see piratebay.org) has gotten some great reviews and there are a multitude of slideshows on youtube that show the progress people have made. Very rigorous, from what I hear.

If you need workout routines for building muscle/losing weight then I would really suggest looking up Ian King's programs. All are free on T-nation, and they will get the job done in cutting the pounds and building lots of muscle. My favorite program from Ian is http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/twelve_weeks_to_super_strength_phase_i_chest_and_back&cr=
and works best if you combine it with his leg routine (appropriately called Limping).

posted by JJFad on Apr 20, 2009 at 11:59:33 pm     #

Thanks upso, and yes JJ, there is a lot of cable stuff to look at too. P90X is the next step from the P90 I mentioned before. I have done it and am on round two now. It is a mother! It is a fitness program designed for overall fitness. Upso, I suspect that is what you’re after. I’m not MD, but it may even help with your diabetes or its effects.

At 54, I can do more pushups and pull ups than I could as a high school athlete or triathlete during my 20s.

So, check out Beachbody.com and see the array of programs and actual testimonies.

posted by Offshore on Apr 21, 2009 at 07:45:15 am     #

I guess it depends what your looking for. When I started at the gym I was just looking for basic fitness equipment. Synergy was close to home and they had a half-off membership deal going. So I said what the hell. Thing with me is I tend to get bored of the same old daily routines and was looking for a little more. The great thing about synergy is that it is also a performance training center as well. My membership also included all classes. Once I got going I started hearing about CrossFit training (Power90 is based on this) also the basics for what the cast of 300 did for training before the film was shot, this really caught my attention. Though Synergy did not offer CrossFit as a class they did offer some more focused training that are elements of crossfit, Russian kettle bells and olympic weight lifting. So I have been going there for over a year working with the trainers and mixing in my own workouts around the classes and love it.

They are located at Central and Reynolds but will be moving to Holland-Sylvania soon. Membership is $49 a month and if you pay 3 months ahead the 4th month is free.

If you are into CrossFit there are two new crossfit affiliates in toledo now.

Rogue Fitness - http://roguetoledo.com/ on airport hwy.

and

CrossFit lifesports - http://www.crossfitlifesport.com/ downtown

If you don't know what crossfit is check out http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

Those are videos of all the exercises.

posted by transcom on Apr 21, 2009 at 07:55:15 am     #

I personally like Urban Active. The high membership rate adds a motivational component too :)

posted by PoshBug on Apr 21, 2009 at 09:23:08 am     #

Ballys is still open on Airport and has a one yr membership for $249. Can use it across the country at other Ballys. The $19.95/mo membership at SF may not include cardio equipment. Offshore or anyone, please confirm. Believe the Synergy gym is moving into the old Powerhouse bldg on Holland-Sylvania. Heard UA is $48.95/mo?

posted by ronaldo on Apr 21, 2009 at 10:15:59 am     #

I was a member at Bally's on Monroe and I loved it. But they closed that location.

Their Airport Hwy location is terrible. Low ceilings, segregated workout areas, dirtyness, lack of maintenance. It is quite a step down from their Monroe St. location.

When my membership expired, I did not renew.

posted by slowsol on Apr 21, 2009 at 10:33:11 am     #

thanks everyone.

transcom, Synergy was the place that was overcharging me $20 a month. (Central tennis & fitness was their old name I think?) I quit just over a year ago when I realized they were ripping me off, and havent been to a gym since. my waist line is showing it. ooof

posted by upso on Apr 21, 2009 at 10:39:50 am     #

Offshore-
Was the P90 system easily compatible with home use? Did you have to buy anything? I've heard that it can be difficult to get a good pull-up bar, but was just wondering if all the other aspects of the system were easily executable in a home environment.

I was thinking of trying it until I start building the addition for the home gym on my house later this summer. I just despise spending the extra drive time going to a gym and then waiting for weights, so I want to try something else until the gym gets completed.

posted by JJFad on Apr 21, 2009 at 11:24:15 am     #

For P90 no pull-up bar is needed. For P90X it is, or you can use the bands that come with it but they are not as effective as the real thing.
Also, a couple sets dumbells (10-15s, 25-30, 40-50s)instead of the bands, or, mix it up.

For X you need a yoga mat too. That's all I use!

posted by Offshore on Apr 21, 2009 at 11:41:02 am     #

JJFad, I should add I have a weight bench I never use, a cycle trainer I never use; I just kicked some other contraption to the trash.

Depending on the season, I cycle, both road and mountain, swim, ski, hike, surf, and rollerblade.

I eat really, really well (but drink too much beer)!

posted by Offshore on Apr 21, 2009 at 11:56:28 am     #

P90X recommends this type of pull up bar, http://www.yourstoreonline.net/(S(wxh2ip45aq1ryruyag2qrzew))/products/product.aspx?id=871&scomp=Google&gclid=CJfv-KPYgpoCFSbxDAodngJDFA

posted by ronaldo on Apr 21, 2009 at 03:20:47 pm     #

CrossFit LifeSport-----
IT’S THE SMARTEST WORKOUT YOU’LL EVER LOVE!!!

Downtown Toledo
Call Todd
419-244-5020

posted by nana on Apr 21, 2009 at 10:10:25 pm     #

P90X is also a CrossFit ripoff, so take that into consideration. With CrossFit LifeSport you get a personal trainer who won't let you turn him off! lol.
doooo eeeet!!

posted by nana on Apr 21, 2009 at 10:12:13 pm     #

I don't know if not being able to turn the personal trainer off is a good thing :)

posted by JJFad on Apr 21, 2009 at 10:49:25 pm     #

Nana, what have you results been with this cross training program?

posted by Offshore on Apr 22, 2009 at 07:50:17 am     #

I go to Urban Active, $25 a month. I love it.

posted by rickthebritt on Apr 22, 2009 at 07:03:06 pm     #

I thought Urban Active was around $60 a month? Maybe their price has went down, or is the $25 for a limited membership?

posted by JJFad on Apr 22, 2009 at 11:26:12 pm     #

I just moved to the are not too long ago and found out about the Rossford Rec Center when I read an article about a new Cardio Fitness room they opened up last Fall. Although they do not have as much equipment as some of the bigger fitness clubs I have belonged to in the past, they have some great state of the art stuff I have not seen at other clubs (expresso bikes, cardio waves, adaptive motion trainers). For the extremely low fees they charge for memberships, I think they have to be one of the best fitness deals around (if you are ok working out at a club without a pool). The annual fees for memberships are cheaper than some of the Joiners Fees at YMCAs and other clubs in the Toledo area.

posted by 419AreaCavsFan on May 14, 2009 at 02:21:43 pm     #

Offshore, I'm gonna get the same results you get because P90X is a CrossFit ripoff. :) I've only been doing this 2 months and I was and still am way out of shape. I think I'm stronger but we don't measure, we just do. I'm eating better (meat and veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little carb, no sugar) but I've only dropped 5 pounds. The Hub and buddies keep encouraging me, telling me that muscle weighs more than fat, lol. I hope they're right! I think I'm stronger but I KNOW I feel better! ANYTHING is better than nothing at all, which is what I was doing before. I'm also riding my bike now, so that will help. I'm not going to be able to do the running once we start that, so I need someone to teach me race-walking!!

See my new post about the workout we did today (#2) and compare that to what you are doing in any other program. I didn't get my ass kicked in 20 minutes today, it took me over 30 minutes, but it was kicked none the less.

Does P90X teach you to do kipping pull-ups? If not, you're not getting the full benefit of the energy you're expending. I'm not anywhere near to this level, just so you know. :)

posted by nana on May 18, 2009 at 09:56:03 pm     #