Finding praying mantis for garden?

does anyone know where i can buy a praying mantis egg in toledo? i'd rather buy one here instead of online, but i can't find anyone that sells them.

created by dralionagogo on May 26, 2009 at 05:21:29 pm     Comments: 10

I don't know where exactly, but did you check with :

posted by jr on May 26, 2009 at 05:35:57 pm     #

Vendors sold praying mantis eggs at the Toledo Farmer's Market last weekend for the Flower Day event. Perhaps they will be back in the future.

posted by historymike on May 26, 2009 at 07:13:59 pm     #

They don't lay single eggs, rather a large bunch surrounded by a protective casing. The woods and fields near Crosby Gardens used to have a decent population of adults years ago, but you had to spend time looking for them. Eggs are laid in the Fall, hatch in the Spring. It would probably be easier finding babies this time of year. Eggs for sale would have to have been kept refrigerated, and probably dead if still unhatched by late May. They are truly fascinating insects.

posted by Wulf on May 26, 2009 at 07:26:11 pm     #

drail -

Just curious - is there a specific purpose for introducing praying mantis for your garden?

BTW, I have a family member who lives near Crosby Gardens and they've found them easily.

posted by corky on May 26, 2009 at 08:39:48 pm     #

Dennis's Green House/Garden Land over on Door and Holland Sylvania. I got one last year, it took so long to hatch, we thought we had a bad one, but then one day...score of little mantises covering my lilac bush.

posted by SensorG on May 26, 2009 at 09:54:24 pm     #

Corky, I believe the Praying Mantis eats other insect that could harm/destroy plants in the garden.

posted by ToledoLatina on May 26, 2009 at 11:09:56 pm     #

I bought ladybugs on Amazon last summer and remember seeing praying mantis eggs for sale too.

posted by toledolen on May 27, 2009 at 10:04:58 am     #

i'm trying to grow a garden and its so infested w/bugs - even my mint is dying. but we have several stray cats that we care for and they have free reign on the garden so i'm trying to avoid pesticides. ...and praying mantis are just cute.

posted by dralionagogo on May 27, 2009 at 01:00:18 pm     #