Flu Vaccine and Guillain Barre Syndrome

Hi, in 1969, my dad died from a flu shot, I think he got Guillain Barre Syndrome from it. Back then the doctors said we should never have flu shots because of this. What do you think? If a family member has possibly had Guillain Barre Syndrome would children be at greater risk for getting it, even now?

created by ilovetoledo on Oct 13, 2009 at 07:20:36 am     Comments: 9

ummm maybe you should ask a doctor this kind of question.

posted by transcom on Oct 13, 2009 at 08:44:38 am     #

When I learned the flu shot only gives you %70 better odds not to get the flu I decided it wasn't worth the risks. But I agree with Transcom, this really sounds like a question for medical professionals

posted by upso on Oct 13, 2009 at 09:21:43 am     #

It's extremely rare but it does happen. An adult neighbor from my childhood neighborhood nearly died of it in about 1959 or so. She was on a respirator for a short time and was left with some permanent neurological deficits. It was thought to have been caused by a flue shot.

posted by holland on Oct 13, 2009 at 11:35:40 am     #

I'll get my flu shot like I do every year. I also plan on getting the H1N1 verson as well.

posted by SensorG on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:00:19 pm     #

Same here.

posted by holland on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:05:45 pm     #

I get the flu shot every year and I think I'm still alive.

posted by hockeyfan on Oct 13, 2009 at 01:35:04 pm     #

Then there was the pilot for one of the Toledo based businesses who developed G-B syndrome too. Was always getting shots suggested/required for various countries. Was in hospital for a long time in bad shape.

posted by prime3end on Oct 13, 2009 at 11:05:04 pm     #

There are risks, just like in anything else, you NEED to talk to your doctor about this!

posted by nana on Oct 14, 2009 at 12:40:52 pm     #

What to see what a medical doctor in "California says about it"? just look up www.drday.com and she even cured her own breast cancer !

posted by blacjac687 on Oct 15, 2009 at 06:02:14 pm     #