Based upon yesterday's (Nov 3, 2009) election results.
But first, a couple reasons why Toledo is better off today than yesterday.
- Mike Bell - defeated the political machine candidate Keith Wilkowski who probably would have made a decent mayor too, especially compared to the last four terms of Carty, Carty, Ford, and Carty, so maybe that's not saying much.
- Adam Martinez - slipped by Polly Taylor-Gerken for the sixth and final spot for Toledo city council at-large. Defeated a political family name. We won't get another Gerken on city council. Pete Gerken is currently a Lucas County commissioner and a former Toledo city council member.
Incumbents elected to city council:
- George Sarantou - for a finance guy, he casts votes that waste taxpayer dollars.
- Rob Ludeman - Carty lackey who has already served 14 lame years on council as a district rep.
- Phillip Copeland - dead weight, non-contributing, Carty lackey.
- Steven Steel - former Toledo school board member who was handed the city clowncil job this past summer for being a loyal foot soldier in the political machine.
Toledo school board
- Larry Sykes - toxic bonehead. Bounced from the board a few years ago, but he resurfaces and squeaks by Darlene Fisher for the third and final board spot. Toledo likes recycling incompetence (see city council choices above). Fisher was the right choice because the Toledo teachers union disliked her.
Small steps, I guess, but clearly, Toledo is still facing an uphill battle.