New trash cans a problem for elderly and others

I always used to take my neighbors trash out and bring the cans back when emptied out of courtesy. Now, with the new containers, I don't see how they could do it by themselves. They even got the so-called smaller cans.
I'm wondering if there are others having trouble with these new containers. If there is, I'm going to try and get some volunteers together to make a "trash can run" to help out these people if I connect volunteers to the needy people.

created by hockeyfan on Jan 08, 2010 at 06:06:52 am     Home     Comments: 15

In the past ,I have used plastic bags for my garbage.I would take them to the curb and after the truck would come by there would not be anything left to worry about and there were not any unsightly cans to look at all day.Now when I drive down our streets after a pickup I have to look at all those big trash cans setting there all day until someone takes them back to their house.Also ,when it gets windy there will be plastic cans blown all over the place.It could make for a nice obstacle course when driving down the street.

posted by buckeye278 on Jan 08, 2010 at 11:26:32 am     #

I've found the new cans to be much easier to roll down the driveway.

posted by toledolen on Jan 08, 2010 at 12:08:05 pm     #

You're a good man, HockyFan. Thanks for your help.

posted by madjack on Jan 08, 2010 at 12:43:38 pm     #

Hockey....my Mom needs help. She is 79 with physical handicap. Unfortunatley I cannot make it over to her house every week. I try but there are weeks where it is just not possible. I worry she will fall as she uses a walker and cane and manuvering those cans around is difficult for her using both hands yet alone one handed.

Thanks

posted by KraZyKat on Jan 08, 2010 at 01:25:41 pm     #

Krazy,
Could you give me a general idea about what part of toledo she lives in and then I'll see if I can find someone to help.

posted by hockeyfan on Jan 08, 2010 at 01:34:28 pm     #

Hockey - She lives in South Toledo near S. Detroit and Byrne Rd. I believe her pickup day is GREEN

posted by KraZyKat on Jan 08, 2010 at 03:21:34 pm     #

Am I the only person that remembers the days when there was an "advance team" of sanatation workers that would retrieve your sanatation from your yard and truck it to the curb before the truck came by?

Can't think of a more justifyable use of those extra two guys that aren't hanging off the back of the truck anymore...

Yes, I know there are layoffs and etc, but it sure would fill an honest 8-hour day for those left "working without a truck".

posted by BrianInFlorida on Jan 08, 2010 at 06:31:42 pm     #

Senior's needing assistance with trash cans might try calling the Area Office On Aging. They frequently know what help is avilable and how to arrange it.

posted by holland on Jan 08, 2010 at 07:52:03 pm     #

Yes, I remember when they brought the cans from your backyard and returned them when they were empty

posted by deere1 on Jan 08, 2010 at 08:47:44 pm     #

KrazyKat-shoot me an email toledohockey1@yahoo.com
Thanks

posted by hockeyfan on Jan 08, 2010 at 11:08:38 pm     #

If teenager would look at this like a paper route job, they could make some money here. Charge a few dollars and take the cans from the house to the curb every morning and return them later after school every garbage day. Maybe the city could offer this as a way to keep teens working.

posted by ToledoLatina on Jan 08, 2010 at 11:32:49 pm     #

TL, I suggested that days ago in another thread. I wonder if any kid will think of that on their own. I'm going to suggest it to my 13yr old grandson when they get into his neighborhood, but he won't make any money at it. He went out to try to make some money shoveling yesterday and today but he had a hard time charging the old folks in his neighborhood, so he shoveled them for free. He loves to work but feels guilty getting paid...I need to talk to that boy. ;p

posted by nana on Jan 09, 2010 at 01:38:40 am     #

Brian, I remember them hauling cans back in the day. The guys in the OWE hated houses like ours coz we had those in-ground cans with the wire handles, heavy, and tough to pull up sometimes. They had 3-man crews behind the truck back then and they would rotate who pulled each week coz that was the hardest job. Imagine running to stay ahead of the truck up Angola from Airport to Reynolds and pulling the cans from very widely-spaced houses down long driveways, dodging dogs and yard obstacles, and then running back down to put them back, and you'll get a feel for why.

posted by nana on Jan 09, 2010 at 01:48:57 am     #

GMTA Nana. Sounds like you help raised an awesome grandson with great morals.

posted by ToledoLatina on Jan 09, 2010 at 04:29:17 am     #

thanks, TL, but it's coming from inside him. He was born good. He's deaf and we didn't know it until he was 2 years old, so he's learned to closely observe the world. He has cochlear implants now and is doing great, but his rocky start has made him so perceptive, it's very cool.

I also wanted to tell everyone, if you printed your trash pickup schedule more than a few days ago, do it again. They forgot Veteran's Day. Here's the corrected one:

posted by nana on Jan 09, 2010 at 12:32:04 pm     #