Here's something that's really been bugging me....it's about my hometown, Rossford, Ohio

I'm a life long resident of the town. My family is from here, and for the most part, still lives here. That's the case with many other families too. By and large, this town had been made up of, and continues to be, very good "salt of the earth" type of people. But over time, a lot of people my age have went to college, graduated and moved out of NW Ohio to where there is much more economic opportunity. I can't blame them. Rossford was always the prototypical "factory town". It reaped huge benefits when L-O-F (now Pilkington) was jamming and employing 1000 plus people......and now it's suffering the consequences of being a "one trick pony". Its definitely on the downside. The schools, IMO, are just fine....maybe even better than average; attaining an excellent rating recently. And not to mention, it's still very safe and the city services aren't that bad at all.

The town just looks bad (road condiitions, business vacancies, lack of class/theme/style in the downtown area) and the morale of the people is in the dumps. At work, when I tell people I live in Rossford, they give me that look like they're thinking "oh yeah, over there on the east side (please...I mean no offense to the 05'ers out there, but that's IS the response I get) from all my fellow YUPPIES that all live in Sylavania, P-burg, Holland, Maumee, and Monclova. .....What's your perception of Rossford? What's your take? Are things too far gone to expect a resurrection of our formerly clean, quaint town? It's killing me to see things this way, and to watch Rossford become the butt of jokes. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, hell, I don't know.

created by BulldogBuckeye on Jan 13, 2010 at 06:00:29 pm     Other     Comments: 62

You wanna know the problem of Rossford??? The MAYOR and the CITY COUNCIL. I live in Rossford also born and raised actually, same with my brother, mom, grandma, and great-grandma.

People bitch about nothing going on in Rossford (not saying you), but keep electing the same morons to city council. There have been businesses that have wanted to come into downtown Rossford but it's not the type of businesses that the city council wants. They tell them they don't want it in town, so go out to crossroads, or reject the idea completely.

The schools are ok until you get up into the JR high and HS. It's nothing like it was when I graduated. I know quite a few people that work in the JR High and HS, and their comments are the same "Both are going down the crapper fast".

I could really careless what people outside of Rossford say about the town. I've lived here for 31 years so far and don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. Like you said it's still a pretty safe town.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 13, 2010 at 08:17:40 pm     #

You're getting a casino...enjoy the revitalization.

posted by justareviewer on Jan 13, 2010 at 08:23:17 pm     #

ifrost2125

"people"...keep electing the same morons to city council"
"I've lived here for 31 years."

Well, my friend, get off your ass and run for office and if elected make a difference. The "people" are the government and that means you too.

posted by holland on Jan 13, 2010 at 08:33:39 pm     #

Actually a few people tried that this last Nov. A few were lied to about when paperwork was due, and a couple others were turned away because they said the signatures weren't valid for some reason. Even if ya do make it to the election the people still keep voting for the good ol' boys club.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 13, 2010 at 08:44:01 pm     #

ifrost2125 - As someone who ran for election 3 times I can tell you that "paperwork problems" is a very flimsy excuse. The Board of Elections provides ample - and I mean ample - written material in a very understandable format to anyone considering candidacy for any elected office. If you find something on the first read that isn't clear you can ask for an explanation just by calling or visiting the BOE. They bend over backwards to assist. I never found them less than helpful and in a timely manner. They go so far as to ask if you need help if you seem new to the experience and give you a quick short course, with heavy emphasis on filing dates. I absoutely do NOT believe for one second that anyone at the BOE has or ever would lie to anyone. Frankly - that's pure unadulterated bullshit.

posted by holland on Jan 13, 2010 at 10:58:35 pm     #

"You're getting a casino...enjoy the revitalization."

Technically, Toledo is getting the casino not Rossford. It's Toledo's land. If it's built, it will be located a few feet from Rossford. Will that help Rossford in any way? Who knows. Will it help Northwood and East Toledo? I think Toledo government and maybe Lucas County government benefits from the losers at the casino. Not sure if the other counties get any money from the casino.

People like to go to the casino and that's it. At least that's the way it seems to work with the casino located a few blocks from downtown Lawrenceburg, Indiana. You can certainly see the new buildings, facades, and streetscaping that casino money has built in downtown Lawrenceburg, but the downtown has failed to attract people and businesses. "They" thought gamblers at the nearby casino would visit the downtown, but that's not happening. Is it possible that most casino gamblers want to spend their money at the casino?

But the Lawrenceburg casino has an attached hotel, and I don't think the plans for Toledo's casino calls for a hotel, so I'm not sure if that changes the dynamics. If no hotel for Toledo's casino, will that mean long-distant, out-of-town gamblers are more likely to venture further away from the casino and patronize other businesses? With no hotel attached, will long-distant, out-of-towners even visit Toledo's casino?

Why would Toledo-area residents who are gambling at Toledo's casino want to visit any other nearby place? Will the gamblers from Findlay and Sandusky wander beyond Toledo's casino? I'm assuming the new casino will have a restaurant. Do gamblers want to spend some of their gambling money on a meal at a nearby restaurant before heading to the casino? And if they lost at the casino, will they be in the mood to spend more money somewhere else after leaving the casino?

A thread was started today where several people mentioned their property taxes decreased because property values are dropping. I assume Toledo's new casino will make our properties more valuable.

posted by jr on Jan 13, 2010 at 11:04:10 pm     #

Holland,

I never said that was the reason I didn't run. I simply do not have the time to put forth right now. I do make it a point to vote for some new people though, but like I stated most just vote for the good old boys club anyway.

There were a few people though that did have problems with the Wood County BOE though. One of my friends has documented voice recorded proof of this.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:06:15 am     #

Nice and quiet, nice people (most of 'em), that's why I live in Rossford. Now if they could just replace that water line, I'm tired of the last minute suprise I get when my water is shut off for the on going repairs to that line.

posted by Grumpy on Jan 14, 2010 at 03:27:38 am     #

There is a pervasive pettiness in Rossford; a bunker mentality of: its us against the world. The Golden Triangle fiasco was a costly amateur hour.Will go out of my way to circumvent that atmosphere.

posted by Mariner on Jan 14, 2010 at 05:48:37 am     #   1 person liked this

Grumpy - water line woes arent confined to Rossford. I've lived in the same place in Holland since 1978. During that time the water line broke in front of my house or the neighbors next door 7 times. Each repair required a hole dug in the right of way about the size of a small house. Once they couldn't find the leak with the first hole so they just kept advancing down the street with this giant trench until they got it. The line was finally replaced in 2008 after 30 years of breaks. I got to know the repair guys working for the County on a first name basis. The line was replaced as part of a street repaving project. Beautiful now. Good luck to you.

posted by holland on Jan 14, 2010 at 09:05:38 am     #

Rossford downtown has seen better days but at least there are still some business there! I would think they get some nice tax revenue from the Crossroads Center out on Rt 25. Rossford public schools are good and All Saints is one of the best private schools in the city. I live in Perrysburg, but my kids play some sports through Rossford Rec. They have lots of options for kids and it's much more reasonable then paying for similar activities at the Y.

posted by fish4 on Jan 14, 2010 at 09:28:06 am     #

My take is admittedly superficial because I donít live there and know the day-in-day-out life there or know the politics. I base my perceptions, as someone who travels around the US a lot and prefers backwater towns and blue highways, on comparisons to the many locations I visit.

I also base my perceptions on the fact that live in the neighboring city, have friends that live in Rossford and drive through on way my daily commute Downtown.

I love Rossford! The so-called Polish Riviera, as you say, was, and remains largely a manufacturing town and thatís to be admired. Itís good to see real hard working people actually producing tangible goods.

I base my perceptions on my frequenting of Moeís and much rather buy Moeís wings than from BW3 much nearer my home. I find the families, yes families, inside of Moeís very, very nice and friendly.

I will say that of most of my friends send their kids to private schools for high school and when I drive past the high school in the morning, some of those kids look pretty rough and Iím sure the private school choice is for social reasons as much as academic.
I wish the best for Rossford and hope that the nearby casino is a boon to the town and doesnít detract from the many positives I see.

posted by Offshore on Jan 14, 2010 at 09:41:00 am     #

I agree the Rossford Rec is a lot more reasonable than the Y. My son played flag football in the fall through them, and we only paid 28 bucks for him. This was his last year for that though, next fall he'll be playing full contact.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 14, 2010 at 09:45:17 am     #

Offshore,

That's another reason I love Rossford is the Culture. They say there are over 6,000 people in Rossford and more than half of them are related someway.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 14, 2010 at 09:54:33 am     #

Wow!
Much of the culture is based on the blue collar aspect of the town but remember that some of the oldest and largest mansion homes to old Toledo industrialists are in Rossford as well as the affluent Eagle Point Colony.

posted by Offshore on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:05:15 am     #

On of my old bosses lives in the old Ford mansion on river road. They don't build houses like that anymore.

posted by SensorG on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:09:56 am     #

If you go towards the back in the Colony that's where most of the larger mansions are. You can't really see them because they have the long winding driveways but they are back there. Growing up a few of my friends lived back in the colony. Back then they seemed more like castles than mansions though.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:12:49 am     #

It's cool to see them from the river while boating. One of the newer ones is built to resemble a castle!

posted by Offshore on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:15:16 am     #

I don't know about the inner politics of the town but my take is that Rossford's only obstacle to being something better is its size. It's small compared to other burbs like Maumee, Perrysburg, Oregon & Sylvania. For local residents, the casino's arrival is going to be like night & day in terms of entertainment options. They've been pretty hard up since the bowling alley closed.

Driving through the town, it's not any worse than the other burbs... Maumee, Perrysburg & Sylvania all have nicer central business districts imho. The housing stock is old & a little dumpy, but it's like that in a lot of the metro. Rossford's Eagle Point Colony is really nice.

I'm thinking the town will eventually grow size-wise with development from the Crossroads and maybe some future annexations. Might turn into something someday... who knows?

posted by housebeats on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:18:31 am     #

I lived in downtown Rossford for nine years. It was about a five minute drive to downtown Toledo and a five minute drive to work in Northwood. Moes, the rec center, the library, the ice cream stand, the convenience store, and the hardware store were handy, short-walk downtown Rossford operations. A couple of those closed later though. I used to shop at the little grocery store at the top of the hill before it closed. I think it was called Gerrard's or something like that. So I shopped at the Pharm, which was located downtown. I bowled at the small bowling alley downtown.

I went to some high school football games, since the school was across the street from me. I enjoyed the spring and fall chicken barbecue dinners at the Methodist Church also located downtown. Of course, the Catholic festival, which used to be held downtown. Do they still have those small downtown parades? My running loop took me through the Colony. I spent a lot of time running and birding at Rossford Island View Park.

I like the downtown areas of some local communities because several businesses are located in a small area for easy walking. I still think the best "downtown" in our area is Perrysburg, although Main Street in Toledo should be the best or at least up there.

posted by jr on Jan 14, 2010 at 11:47:58 am     #

jr,

Rossford still has the yearly Halloween parade, and I think memorial day parade. Gerrard's huh?? That store had been gone for years, but I remember it well. There also was a store called Lanes right next door that is kind of like a rite aid, but cheaper prices.

Then up town like you said they had a mom/pop hardware store, which I miss because they had the stuff you needed. Rossford also had a movie theater when my mom and uncle were young

We also had Myers drugstore up town farther. My uncle dale owned it and it was run by him and I believe his boys worked there for a bit, and so did my grandma till they closed.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:02:58 pm     #

What's your perception of Rossford?

That it's somewhere near Toledo. Other than that, I don't perceive anything. Living in Rossford is neither good nor bad.

posted by madjack on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:06:55 pm     #

I live in Perrysburg, dont think I'm a yuppie :). But I like Rossford. My ex's niece/nephews went there for grade school and Jr. high and are intelligent kids.

Aside from the route 20 strip, not sure what attractions are there, but as a city I like it and hear taxes are reasonable.

posted by INeedCoffee on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:07:28 pm     #

Rossford'ians also seem to be loyal :) my ex's nieces still wear their bulldog jackets even though they are now going to Lake (moved last year).

posted by INeedCoffee on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:08:20 pm     #

Found this while I was looking around for something.

It's some pictures of Rossford from all different years.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:08:28 pm     #

I've only lived in this area for 9 years, so I don't personally know whether Rossford is better/worse/the same as it used to be.

However, I only know former Rossford residents - they all have moved with in the past couple of years, because they said its going downhill.

In my time here, I've not made acquaintance with anyone from Rossford who still lives there now.

It has been interesting to read the responses here, because its giving a whole different perspective than what has been given to me from the people who moved out. (All of whom are in their 30s/early 40s with families.)

To hear the stories of my co-worker who moved recently after living in Rossford for 15 years, you'd think the whole community was filling up with thugs and gang-bangers. lol.

posted by mom2 on Jan 14, 2010 at 11:27:36 pm     #

P.S. When I said I've only lived in this area for 9 years, I mean the Toledo area in general. I've never lived in Rossford - though I did spend my first year here in East Toledo.

(Long story short, I rented my first place here not being familiar with the area and ended up in East Toledo until that lease was up. Otherwise, I've lived in Bedford Twp or Sylvania Twp since moving to the area.)

posted by mom2 on Jan 14, 2010 at 11:31:59 pm     #

I can attest, personally, the town is as safe as it's ever been (well....at least relative to the rest of society). I do happen to agree.....Rossford definitely has been going downhill, but that doesn't mean it's a bad place to live. A city can be in decline, but still be a good place to live.

Also, just to clarify.....the resaon for my post was to see what other people in the area thought of Rossford. I had to lol at certain posters that saw that as an opportunity to bitch about the city. Sure, we all have complaints about fed, state, and local governments....all of us. And sure, the Rossford leadership, over the years, has definitely lacked vision and a strong leader....but I honestly cannot lay all of the city's current problems at the feet of leadership.
I just think that sometimes, Rossford and it's people get a bad rap (for what it's worth, I truly believe our "friends" at The Blade and the City of Toledo govt ie Carty, have done thier part to dog Rossford)....and yes, I think that we do have a "us against the world" mentality. That's what happens when you're the runt of the suburban litter.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jan 15, 2010 at 09:44:22 am     #

Even though I do have my problems with the City council, and School board, I won't be leaving Rossford anytime soon. We've also had our problems with a few violent acts, and a big problem with vandalism but the RPD has seemed to curb that problem as of late.

There are a few reasons I won't leave Rossford. One, more than half of my family is here, and second I happen to like most of the people in this town.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 15, 2010 at 10:56:35 am     #

BulldogBuckeye Wrote: "The town just looks bad (road condiitions, business vacancies, lack of class/theme/style in the downtown area)"

This is what falls on the shoulders of the city government, and what my bitching was about. You also better believe I will hold them accountable for these things.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 15, 2010 at 11:10:20 am     #

I also wrote that I cannot lay ALL of the city's shortcomings at the feet of leadership. Some of the burden falls on the collective lack of community involvement, the dwindling tax base, and the "status quo is good enough" mentality is absolutely permiates throughout the city. For what it's worth.... I think that I personally, could and should do more, civically, to bring about positive change.

But I digress.....the point of the orignal post wasn't meant to be a forum to point fingers and assign blame.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:30:29 pm     #

I agree all things can't be laid at their feet. What I quoted you as saying are the major problems that Rossford faces, but doesn't deal with properly.

And yes more people need to step up and do more. Whether it be volunteer at the Library, or for a sport activity for the kids, or whatever.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:43:42 pm     #

Does anybody know who owns the Castle in The Colony (in Rossford) ?

It's on Riverside Drive, along the river. Construction was finished, just a couple years ago.

I think the address might be 1271 Riverside Drive, but I'm not 100% positive.

posted by WalterAnthony on Jan 15, 2010 at 01:01:18 pm     #

I think the last name is Delp? or something like that...I'm probably wrong...but he owns a company in Toledo.. IMO, way too gaudy for not only the Colony, but the all of NW Ohio. FWIW....there is another actual "castle" style home that is located at the end of the same street off the cul-de-sac. It's kinda hidden, but it really does resemble a castle style home. Old time Rossfordians even refer to it as "the castle".

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jan 15, 2010 at 01:06:55 pm     #

This is wood county's version of Aries.

posted by tm2 on Jan 15, 2010 at 01:34:43 pm     #

Actually that might be the house I was talking about Bulldog. Is it the house that is on the cul-de-sac that comes in from Riverside Dr?

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 15, 2010 at 05:11:45 pm     #

Actually after reading your post better I believe we are both talking about the same house. I used to hang out there all the time when I was growing up. It's owned by the Riza's and he is/was a gynecologist in Oregon.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 15, 2010 at 05:20:48 pm     #

tm2:

I used the link you provided. It appears the correct address for the (somewhat recently built) Castle in the Colony (in Rossford) is 372 Riverside drive.

If I'm reading the property data correctly (from the website), the annual taxes for this Castle total more than $45,000 a year.

see link:

posted by WalterAnthony on Jan 16, 2010 at 02:40:16 am     #

"I just think that sometimes, Rossford and it's people get a bad rap (for what it's worth, I truly believe our "friends" at The Blade and the City of Toledo govt ie Carty, have done thier part to dog Rossford" In a sincere friendly way since I think these types of discussions are beneficial, it just might be that that statement underscores the current conditions. You reside along a beautiful river, no doubt the best stretch of it, and have quick immediate access to interstate hwys in all directions. Your local law enforcement needs to be brought into this century and might make the area a bit less inhospitable. It's easy to say how safe you are when you've chased everyone away. Have never had a ticket in Rossford but the stories abound enough that the city is truly avoided. There are many positive aspects such as a strong community. The city could be a jewel on the river and no amount of negative media or criticism from detractors can tarnish a solid base. Might help a bit to learn how to put out a welcome mat.

posted by Mariner on Jan 16, 2010 at 06:13:03 am     #

This is a departure from my orignal post but .....here's something that I get a kick out of.....Rossford announces its getting an amplitheater; Jack Ford announces he wants an amplitheater at Prominade Park....Rossford announces its getting an arena; Tim Gladieux says he's going to do a dramatic renovation of the Sports Aroma....Rossford announces its in the running for Bass Pro; Carleton puts up a billboard and goes on helicopter rides....Rossford announces it has property available for a casino, Toledo announces it has land along the river for a casino (and by the way...it's just outside of Rossford).

End result? No amplitheater anywhere, the Sports Aroma torn down and a new arena in downtown Toledo, casino in Toledo but just outsdie of Rossford, Bass Pro in Rossford along with jacked up water rates from the City of Toledo that helps weaken the opportunity to develop in the Crossroads area.

What a wonder display of regionalism. WTF, Toledo? :>)

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:21:43 pm     #

I'm nearly a life-long resident and I agree, our city has lost the charm I grew up with. The LOF factory, the downtown Catholic churches and schools (now combined and on the outskirts), grocery stores (Sterling, A&P, Gerrards) and our hardware store (Frautschi Bros.), neighborhood markets (like Verbosky's and Name's), all changed or gone. The various clubs and organizations: The Sokel Club, The Polish Club, The Ukes, American Legion, VFW...all gone or dwindling. When I was young we had Shell, Gulf, Sohio, Marathon, Clark and Union 76 gas stations ALL located along the main street. We could enjoy a great homemade breakfast or lunch at McClain's or have a cold one at Holefka's, Mike's (Danny's), Ren's Place, Em & Bills, Raether's or the Polish Village Tavern. How about a pizza from Cavesee's or a hand scooped ice cream cone at Duly's? Not to mention the 5 & Dime, Groves, Meyer's Rexall, Parrish's. Yes...times have changed. The small town charm has been lost to Crossroads expansion and generally a different set of values by the consumer. Well what can be done? It starts with civic pride....both from our citizens and our leaders. I voted for our current mayor based on what I observed about him. His house is well kept, he worked for a local bank and kept the external appearance up (I saw him picking up litter one morning). His opponent (now a councilman) had the opposite impression on me. His long-time family owned business is in the center of town and steps away from our beautiful municipal complex. Essentially, it has become a collection of cars and boats in need of repair and the associated garbage clearly visible to all who pass by. imagine the impression it makes on visitors leaving our mayor's office and the first image they see leaving the driveway is this embarrassing mess. Our city has ordinances prohibiting residents from keeping boats in our driveway but somehow this business skirts the law. It took a citizen's complaint for this business to "repair" a former sign above the door of the business. It still looks unattractive. We have no set rules for our aesthetics. There's a hideous pink wall on the former liquor store in a now empty building where a short-lived business resided. How did that major change in our cityscape get approved? Our streets are crumbling. Recently there were committee meetings to discuss an overhaul to our main street with grant money secured for new lights. That's been a while and nothing has gotten underway. It was to have a "nautical" theme. Now we face an even greater change to our city's dynamics, the biggest since the downsizing of the glass factory that built us. Our Junior High and High School is in danger of possibly moving out of our historic downtown. If the board gets its way, they will tear down Eagle Point Elementary School and make a park. They will tear down Indian Hills Elementary and possibly donate it to the Wood Co. Parks or try to develop it for housing (to whomever wants to live on ancient Indian graves). Note: by the way, Indian Hills was built during my lifetime and its modular design was supposed to accommodate future expansion...never happened unless you count the mobile home they put in its front yard. They will also tear down Glenwood Elementary, the Junior High, the High School other facilities. They want to move the elementary students downtown to a newer facility. I think this is ALL a bad plan! Many families have located here so their kids will be able to walk to school K-12. Can you imagine all the bussing that will now have to occur? What is ALL of this going to cost? They say our facilities all crumbling. Why? Hasn't somebody been doing their job maintaining our facilities? If concrete needs repair you fix it. If paint is dulling or wearing down you paint it. If a roof is in need of replacement you buy a new one. But, if things have gotten as bad as they have it makes me wonder if in giving this administration the keys to a new place will it be taken care of with any better pride (and expense). There's that word again.....pride. What would I like to see done? What would I vote for? I would like to see updating and repairs made to our current facilities. I would like to see money invested in a better facility manager who recognizes the facilities needs even before things get really bad. One who works hard and encourages those who work for him/her to have the same sense of pride in maintaining our city's great historic landmarks. If they can't keep the standards of quality up, then hire someone who can. We're talking ACCOUNTABILITY! Also, I would like the athletics and arts to remain centered in our city. To walk to a basketball or football game or take in a play or music concert then to get a JoJo's Pizza afterwards with the family or a beer at Moe's. Maybe a stroll down the newly revived Superior Street....rest at the Ford Memorial and head back home from there. It's all good but that of course could change. Voters better really think this thing through. Newer is not always better for many reasons and as the song goes, "Oh it always seems to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."

posted by shortstuff on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:43:27 am     #

Rossford has an interesting history. Was watching a documentary on the Museum downtown and they spent a lot of time talking about the back history of Rossford, the early glass factories that eventually became OC, OI.

Forget the exact detail but thought one of those founders literally created Rossford as a small town to home workers for the glass or bottling plant (pre OC days). Thought it had something to do with his wife's name as well.

Really wish I could have recorded that show was a gem.

posted by INeedCoffee on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:58:15 am     #

eh I had some of my facts right, just jumbled :)

posted by INeedCoffee on Aug 20, 2010 at 01:00:30 am     #

My perception of Rossford is that there's nothing there for me to see or interact with. It's just a good place to get pulled over by strutting small-town cops, purely since the car has a few rust spots on it. And once the casino is built there (since it's on the border, that's essentially where it was intended to be built), I'm going to make sure I avoid the area entirely. Who wants to deal with the traffic, predatory cops, and the snobs?

Confess. You never wanted the "riff-raff". Well, I'm the riff-raff and I'll never darken your town with my presence again. Enjoy the future that you SNOBS bought. I hope you fucking choke on it.

posted by GuestZero on Aug 20, 2010 at 03:19:41 am     #

GZ - perhaps you have a self-fulfilling prophecy about "snobs."

I drive what most people would consider to be a god-awful vehicle. (To me a car is something that gets me from Point A to Point B. As long as its still functioning, I don't see any point in spending money for a new vehicle.) I'd hazard a guess that my vehicle looks worse than yours does - its pretty bad. lol

Never have had a problem with cops trying to pull me over or people giving me a hard time because of it. Live in Sylvania, and regularly drive through Ottawa Hills, Perrysburg, Rossford, etc. Hell, I interact quite frequently with a lot of people you'd probably consider snobs, because my kids are friends with their kids. (kids of notable business people, physicians, etc) And yet still, never have had a problem.

If you get treated differently, perhaps you're throwing off an attitude that invites that?

(I interact pretty much the same with everyone, whether its the janitor at work or some country club person.)

posted by mom2 on Aug 20, 2010 at 06:36:35 am     #

Rossford is a nice town!

posted by Lameduck on Aug 20, 2010 at 07:35:17 am     #

Shortstuff,

Rossford is going down the crapper. I have only lived here 32 years but my mom and grandma has lived here all their lives, and my grandpa moved here from Lagrange street when he married my grandma, so he's been here almost 60 years.

Like you I have seen many things come and go. Groves, Gerards, and the store that was next to Gerards but cannot remember the name. I used to be proud to call Rossford home but now this town is turning into an embarrassment.

Our City council and school board are run by idiots, or at least it seems that way. I refuse to vote for the new schools but not sure I'll even be in the area to vote it down.

posted by lfrost2125 on Aug 20, 2010 at 10:21:13 am     #

Mom2, are you actually going to posit that "attitude" is emitted through the glass and metal of an automobile?

Young men driving older cars are targeted by small-town police. So, screw your town. You're not getting my money, firstly since your town is full of snobs, and secondly since you won't even admit your snobbery.

Enjoy your foreclosures, too. Your class of person is foreclosing left and right, and I'm having so much fun watching the suffering that I may as well eat popcorn while that happens. The yuppies and Boomers need a shitload of crow to eat for their decades of severe sins. Pick up that fork.

posted by GuestZero on Aug 20, 2010 at 06:25:39 pm     #

Such hatred. The number of threads on TT that devolve into the anti-Toledo mentality is enlightening. It is often said that we are our own worst enemies in NW Ohio, and maybe those critics are correct, because here is another prime example.

posted by JohnnyMac on Aug 20, 2010 at 08:52:25 pm     #

GZ is a prime example of hatred, period.

posted by Ryan on Aug 20, 2010 at 09:01:01 pm     #

Wow guess GZ went off his meds again. I've grown up in this town and as I've said. I have always driven older cars/trucks since I could drive. I have never gotten a ticket that I did not deserve.

posted by lfrost2125 on Aug 20, 2010 at 09:25:06 pm     #

Lfrost, that's because the police already know who you are, since you're a long-term resident. What, do you think that police don't memorize cars and faces over time? Get a clue.

And: JohnnyMac, we're talking about ROSSFORD. How the heck is that an "anti-Toledo mentality"? Is it because you think of Lucas County as Toledo County? Here's another clue: Rossford is in Wood County.

posted by GuestZero on Aug 21, 2010 at 12:03:56 am     #

And: Ryan, I'm a prime example of assertive intellectualism. It's been completely obliterated from the mainstream media, which you adore. Too bad you bring your throwback mentality of that here, onto the blogs.

posted by GuestZero on Aug 21, 2010 at 12:06:12 am     #

I have been a young man that had often driven an older car through Rossford with no problems. Or at least that's what the mainstream media has told me.

posted by dhr on Aug 21, 2010 at 12:56:35 am     #

How to you explain that I have gotten tickets here before if I'm a long time resident and they know long time residents. They pull over who ever needs to be pulled over plain and simple. If you got pulled over there was a reason for it. Apparently the whole world is out to get GZ.

posted by lfrost2125 on Aug 21, 2010 at 01:14:25 am     #

The Maumee Municipal Court was created in the early 60's by charter revision for the sole purpose of taking advantage of the newly constructed Ohio turnpike which ran through it's borders. Advantage meant the revenue derived from out of town speeders as opposed to meeting an immediate need of the community. The revenue produced remained in the city rather than being processed onward to Toledo and Lucas county which had handled the processing up to that point. People can be foolish and do break laws therefore the requirements of upholding a civil order have in fact changed over the years. The 80's and 90's enjoyed a period of economic growth with the resultant discretionary income spent in entertainment and a rather large industry was created in the ability of local police to issue DUI charges virtually at will on any given week-end. Those days are gone. Recent crack downs and sobriety check-points show a marked decrease in the number of impaired drivers. This should not be viewed as a loss of revenue stream to be replaced by some different form of income. Acknowledging that Rossford does not maintain a court,that it refers to Perrysburg, a civic minded resident might want to inquire if any of this criticism is valid

posted by Mariner on Aug 21, 2010 at 08:11:42 am     #

Tell you the truth I have seen more state troopers having people pulled over in Rossford than the Rossford cops have. Lately they have been watching the Miami street area and the Buck Road area. I hardly ever see anyone pulled over by a Rossford cop.

posted by lfrost2125 on Aug 21, 2010 at 08:41:24 am     #

I've been told there is now a sign that says something like "Future site of Rossford High School and Middle School" out at the Lime City Road site. How can this go up without ANY definate go ahead on the project? This is wrong and an obvious attempt to mislead voters into believeing it is a done deal. It is not, it still has to be voted on by the citizens of Rossford....or am I wrong?

posted by shortstuff on Aug 23, 2010 at 08:58:48 am     #

Yep you are correct about the sign and I asked my mom the same thing yesterday when we drove by about why the sign was even up.

The residents do have to vote on it and from the vibe I've been getting from most people I know here they do not plan on voting for it.

posted by lfrost2125 on Aug 23, 2010 at 09:11:25 am     #

Rossford, Perrysburg's little brother. If the inital amphitheatre project would have survived, things would probably be different. That golden triangle area has not spawned the activity originally thought. That is because of numerous obvious reasons. I personally would be shocked if voters approved new schools

posted by Hoops on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:07:37 am     #

posted by tm2 on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:36:23 am     #

Curious.....it's been a couple of years now. Has your perception of Rossford changed at all?

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jan 28, 2013 at 02:06:08 pm     #