When writing a return address do people in the suburbs...

... generally write "toledo, ohio" or do they write "sylvania township" for example? a business out at central and mccord and he has "toledo" listed as his address and i thought that odd. dunno?

created by enjoyeverysandwich on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:42:42 am
updated by enjoyeverysandwich on Mar 10, 2010 at 02:42:02 pm
    Other     Comments: 7

You are supposed to write the name of the postal office for the zip code. ZIP codes for villages, census-designated places, portions of cities, or other entities that are not municipalities do not always get their own zip code. Ottawa Hills, for example, is part of Toledo as far as the USPS is concerned.

posted by historymike on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:47:04 am     #

My sister lives in Sylvania Township yet her zip code is for Reynolds Corners (43617). Some other parts of Sylvania Township might have the Sylvania, OH zip (43560).

posted by oldsendbrdy on Mar 10, 2010 at 12:32:29 pm     #

Central & McCord has a Toledo mailing address.

Actually, a Toledo mailing address goes quite far out Central Ave. I'm not sure what the precise cutoff is, but Giant Eagle and Meijer both have Toledo mailing addresses as well.

P.S. I live in Sylvania Twp. My zip code is 43560, so I use Sylvania, OH in my return address.

posted by mom2 on Mar 10, 2010 at 12:46:59 pm     #

Hmmn...the cutoff must be somewhere near Centennial Road.

The Lexus & Harley Davidson dealers both have Toledo mailing addresses (both located on Central between King and Centennial).

However, Hatfield Landscaping (located on Central, just past Centennial) has a Sylvania mailing address.

posted by mom2 on Mar 10, 2010 at 12:50:24 pm     #

Actually, portions of Sylvania Township have one of five different zip codes: 43560 (Sylvania City) 43615, 43617, and 43623 (Toledo zips), 43504 (Berkey/Richfield Twp) and 43528 (Holland).

For post office purposes, most people use the city associated with the zip, but a few will use Sylvania Township; I was told the post office has blessed this since most mail is sorted electronically off the Zip.

posted by MrsArcher on Mar 10, 2010 at 01:35:28 pm     #

Exactley how do the electronic sorters work? Is there some type of OCR which reads the zip code and sorts to the coorect bin?

posted by KraZyKat on Mar 10, 2010 at 01:48:14 pm     #

I live in Springfield Township, and write my address under Maumee.
Zip: 43537