One night in Toledo and what to do?

Revisiting an old thread from seven years ago today.

Mar 29, 2003 - A night in Toledo - (17 comments)

If you had just one night to hangout in Toledo, where would you go, what would you do, and where would you stay?

We are planning a one-night visit to Toledo with another couple. We're from Michigan and thought it was about time to explore the nightlife in our bordering state. We are thirty-somethings, but are shedding the kids and want to find a great hotel to stay at within walking distance (or quick public transportation away) from great food and fun nightlife.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

created by jr on Mar 29, 2010 at 01:02:24 pm     Entertainment     Comments: 28

Mud Hens or Walleye game then go to Pizza Papalis, The Blarney or Packos at the park.

posted by Walleye419 on Mar 29, 2010 at 03:37:18 pm     #

Packo's would be on my list, but can't really answer this because it depends on the persons interest. Toledo has a lot of nice places to go to, but I don't think any are within walking distance from one another. (Except for maybe what Walleye suggested).

Lots of good places to eat, and we have two great comedy clubs but they are so spread apart. Maybe if going that route stay at a hotel near Levis commons, go to the comedy club there, dine at one of the places there and shop around Levis.

posted by INeedCoffee on Mar 29, 2010 at 08:11:02 pm     #

Adams St. has 4-5 bars/restaurants that are within walking distance (It helps if it's nice out.) Walleye419's suggestion is also pretty fun on a weekend summer night.

posted by hunkytownsausage on Mar 29, 2010 at 09:02:19 pm     #

wonder what they ended up doing?

posted by nana on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:32:47 pm     #

Some of the comments on the original thread are really disheartening.

If I was in town for 24 hours I would...

Breakfast at Michael's, Downtown. Or champagne brunch at Manhattan's, if it were the weekend. Or what about that a-m-a-z-i-n-g breakfast at Nick & Jimmy's?

Then I'd amble over to The Zoo and oogle some beasties. Or enjoy a bike ride along the river. Or in one of the Metroparks.

I'd grab lunch at the original Packo's, Barry Bagels, or Grumpy's. And pick up a coffee at Petit Fours.

The afternoon would be spent enjoying The Toledo Museum of Art, with a stroll down some of the tree-lined streets in the Old West End drooling over some historic architecture. A Walleye or Mudhens game would be fun later in the afternoon.

Dinner would be Mancy's Steakhouse if someone else was picking up the tab, or the alternative would be Greek at Mano's on a Friday when they have a bellydancer. But honestly, there are too many yummy options on that note.

Drinks would be a pub-crawl up and down Adams Street, stopping in at Wesley's, Manhatttan's, The Attic (above Manos), and ending with a nightcap at The Ottawa Tavern.

posted by toledolen_ on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:50:59 pm     #

i am going to second that

posted by upso on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:55:56 pm     #

"wonder what they ended up doing?"

In that original thread, their April 15, 2003 comment :

Okay.. we're back from our wonderful stay! I must say that Toledo REALLY surprised me! Very clean! Very safe! Very fun!!! We were extremely happy with the Maumee Bay Brewing Company (Detroit forced out our former favorite, Atwater Block Brewing, for casinos - huge loss)! Maumee Bay Brewing has it all (food, drink, atomosphere, friendly people)... and it's ALL good! We spent a large part of our evening there.

After leaving the brewery, we checked into the Ramada and headed out on foot to find a wealth of interesting places. Among our favorites (in walking distance) were the Durty Bird, The Bronze Boar and Murphy's. They were all so interesting!

The Ramada or Radisson (next to one another) were definitely better situated for walking around. We chose the Ramada because of the queen beds (there were 4 of us) and the dirt-cheap price (we got it for under $50 with a price match deal online).

We didn't give ourselves nearly enough time to visit any of the major attractions - we never even made it to the other side of the river! We are already making plans to come back, though. Can't wait!!!

Thanks again for all the advice! Your town and people have definitely won me over!

posted by jr on Mar 30, 2010 at 01:45:34 am     #

AWESOME! thanks for sharing that :)!!!!!

posted by upso on Mar 30, 2010 at 01:54:50 am     #

If I had to spend 1 night in Toledo, I guess I would be looking for a place to hide from the gunfire and homeless, till I could find a way outa there.

posted by Linecrosser on Mar 30, 2010 at 02:05:16 am     #

LC, you are so wrong, it's funny.

posted by nana on Mar 30, 2010 at 11:43:05 am     #

We were just at the Attic on Adams last night. The boyfriend turned 40 yesterday, so we had dinner at Zia's and then went for some cocktails. We hadn't been there since it was Pub St. Georges. While I missed the half price martinis on Tuesday, I liked the idea of the movie screening on the building next door. It was a nice evening and I was surprised by the amount of people in there on a Tuesday night.

posted by valbee on Mar 31, 2010 at 09:23:52 am     #

Can anyone tell me more about the movies playing on the building on a Tuesday night? Is there a regular schedule for that? Seems like a great idea!

posted by viola on Mar 31, 2010 at 09:56:11 am     #

posted by Ryan on Mar 31, 2010 at 10:03:14 am     #

Get mugged, are you all crazy or drinking some crazy juice!?! Why would I go out and do something at night, which my only choices is drinking or more drinking, while some 80 year old guy gets shot just driving a car? DEE DEE DEEE!

posted by Xavier97x2 on Mar 31, 2010 at 12:56:19 pm     #

he wasn't driving, he was sleeping in front of his house in a sketchy neighborhood. how many other people has that NOT happened to?? I go out at night all the time, I was just sitting on El Camino Sky's deck till 9:00 tonight and had a great time...I never have a problem and I'm a middle-aged white woman! grow up.

posted by nana on Mar 31, 2010 at 10:55:50 pm     #

high fives nana

posted by toledolen_ on Mar 31, 2010 at 11:14:15 pm     #

Nana-- lets go out together.. were brave enough. That movie thing at The Attic sounds good.

TAHL

posted by CynicalCounsel on Apr 01, 2010 at 03:53:01 pm     #

A constructive night in Toledo may include cutting the heads off the parking meters. No need to choose where to stay.

posted by ronaldo on Apr 01, 2010 at 04:18:02 pm     #

By far, the best way to check out what to do in our fair city is to visit wheresthecat.com These folks have put alot of thought behind their site! Easy to use, just click a calendar date, and up pops a list of cool things to do. Give it a try!

posted by agback on Apr 01, 2010 at 05:21:49 pm     #

lolz, let's ALL go out. ballgame, pizza across the street, barhop, sounds like a win full of fun to me!

posted by nana on Apr 01, 2010 at 11:14:42 pm     #

Perfect night!

posted by agback on Apr 02, 2010 at 04:20:25 pm     #

SOUNDS good to me Nana!

posted by upso on Apr 02, 2010 at 04:22:03 pm     #

If I had one night in Toledo I would leave!

posted by mumzur on May 08, 2010 at 12:09:56 pm     #

Please do, mumzur. Please do.

posted by valbee on May 08, 2010 at 01:12:11 pm     #

tonight the roller derby is in town

posted by makinTV on May 08, 2010 at 01:40:48 pm     #

The roller derby team showed up at the Avalon after their game last night.If you are into large(fat) women in daisy duke type shorts then you should check it out sometime.As for me,I thought they were having interviews for the biggest loser show.I put this type of entertainment right up there with pro wrestling.Thanks,but no thanks.I guess one could say,different strokes for different folks.

posted by buckeye278 on May 09, 2010 at 08:23:04 am     #

Girls out having fun after an athletic event. Sounds fine by me. More power to them.

You do know that roller derby in 2010 isnít the kind you watched in the 70ís; right? (please say right)

posted by Ryan on May 10, 2010 at 03:36:41 pm     #

I love the photos on their website.

posted by toledolen_ on May 10, 2010 at 03:53:06 pm     #