Technology Solves Age-Old Problem of Bored, Fretful Kids?

Has anyone else noticed how quiet children are in restaurants these days? They can amuse themselves with games and texting instead of listening to boring grown-up talk. I wish I'd had the option when I was a kid! But this leads directly to the flashlight problem in movie theaters.

created by viola on Jul 30, 2010 at 11:26:53 am     Technology     Comments: 5

Or are we creating generations of tech-conjoined people who do not learn as children how to appropriately interact with other human beings?

posted by historymike on Jul 30, 2010 at 02:48:12 pm     #

Yeah, what HistoryMike said.

posted by madjack on Jul 30, 2010 at 02:58:31 pm     #

When we drop off our kids in the morning at school, I'm amazed how many parents have the DVD player going for the kids 15-20 minute ride.

Our rule is, if the ride is over an hour, we'll hook up the DVD player in the car, otherwise you can pick any toys or books that you'd like.

posted by SensorG on Jul 30, 2010 at 02:58:40 pm     #

SensorG: Glad your kids can handle reading in the car--I always felt like throwing up if I tried to read!

Like anything else, people go overboard with things to take the heat off themselves--i.e. let the TV do the babysitting. You're right--a 15 minute ride to school should not be time for a DVD in the backseat. How 'bout talking to your kid, asking him about subjects, teachers, homework, random things outside the window as you pass, etc.?

posted by oldhometown on Jul 30, 2010 at 04:42:14 pm     #

My wife and siblings read fine in the car. I get sick as dog. In fairness my kids are around kindergarten age so books arenít wordy yet, I hope they take after my wife.

posted by SensorG on Jul 30, 2010 at 04:50:51 pm     #