Ruby on Rails developer needed

I've been asked to post this computer programmer job opening.

A local entrepreneur seeks experienced Ruby on Rails developer in the Toledo area to create at least two Web sites. The programmer would design the sites, using an open source platform built by the employer with Rails. At least one of the projects is expected to generate significant traffic. The employer is willing to make the programmer a co-partner based upon successful completion of the projects.

If you are interested, e-mail me at admin@toledotalk.com, and I'll forward your e-mail on to the employer/entrepreneur.

created by jr on Aug 02, 2010 at 02:10:43 pm
updated by jr on Aug 02, 2010 at 02:16:53 pm
    Technology     Comments: 7

tags: technology

Two thoughts -

1)"The programmer would design the sites"

I perfer to keep my web designer seperate from my web developer. Two different skill set.

2) Why RoR? Why not PHP or .Net? Developers are much more common.

posted by SensorG on Aug 02, 2010 at 03:19:26 pm     #

Would try but never got into the RoR framework. Kinda agree with SensorG designer and developer can be two different things.

Ask a "designer" to write the interface code to a back end Oracle server running on Solaris using jdbc with a Java application accessible via soap using Apache Axis. A developer would more than likely do that, a designer would write the Flash or html5/css/javascript interface to make the soap calls from the website.

Eh sorry to be negative my car blew up today and in a bit of a mood.

Regardless wish the best for your friend and his/her endeavor.

posted by INeedCoffee on Aug 02, 2010 at 05:11:54 pm     #

Eh I feel bad for even posting that. Word semantics are just not positive or useful. God I hope I'm not becoming a troll lol. The fact that a job opening up to someone is really all that matters, and a good thing for someone searching.

Hope he finds a good candidate.

posted by INeedCoffee on Aug 02, 2010 at 05:23:34 pm     #

Design / develop / create / build / mop / scrub / stock the frig / take out the trash / etc.

The separation makes sense in a large enough shop. A Web designer friend of mine worked at a small place where he managed the database servers, wrote the Web server code, did the front-end design, and handled networking and security.

A programmer should possess some design and database skills. How else can they solo-hack on their own projects outside of work?

posted by jr on Aug 02, 2010 at 05:57:47 pm     #

well said and agree jr. Like all professions, someone good should be a bit of a master of all trades.

Anxious for html5 to be solid :)

posted by INeedCoffee on Aug 02, 2010 at 07:59:01 pm     #

oooo, I love it when you talk techie. ;p

posted by nana on Aug 02, 2010 at 11:14:32 pm     #

Kinda OT, but another job opening thought i'd post here.

MNX Solutions is a Linux consulting and managed services company based
in Monroe MI, we are seeking an experienced Linux administrator to
join our growing team.

Visit, http://www.mnxsolutions.com/jobs for further details.

posted by INeedCoffee on Aug 04, 2010 at 06:26:37 pm     #