Any Fantasy Football Addicts on Toledo Talk?

It is that time of year, as the NFL season begins to start. Any fellow ToledoTalkers participate in fantasy football leagues? If so, post your strategies and suggestions: I have been playing for 16 years now, and tomorrow is the draft day in my two money leagues.

created by historymike on Sep 04, 2010 at 06:02:17 pm     Sports     Comments: 22

Tomorrow is my draft day too.. I just started playing last year and I already have a championship ring ;)

posted by justphillips on Sep 04, 2010 at 08:33:25 pm     #

Heh - in my big money league I have never won the chanmpionship in 16 years. Four trips to the fantasy Super Bowl, but never winning the big dance.

posted by historymike on Sep 04, 2010 at 08:42:52 pm     #

justphillips, did my cousin ever pay you the $50 he said he was giving to the winner? :)

Since I'm in the same league as justphillips, my draft is also tomorrow. No money, just bragging rights. I'm just filling a spot this year, though. I keep Sundays free for watching football, but school consumes any time needed to research and manage my team.

posted by valbee on Sep 04, 2010 at 09:12:47 pm     #

Does being the spouse of a fantasy sports addict count?

(Please? I have to get something out of this other than annoyance...)

posted by mom2 on Sep 04, 2010 at 09:54:25 pm     #

How does it work, have known a few people over the years who play. Remember a friend in college would play it online but I never caught the bug.

Wouldn't mind trying a fantasy hockey league :)

posted by INeedCoffee on Sep 04, 2010 at 10:16:42 pm     #

Mom2, that's part of the reason I started playing! My boyfriend and my son were both in leagues, and I wanted to understand what the heck they were talking about. I joined no money league with my son and some friends of his and was immediately hooked enough that I signed up for a public league, too.

A friend of mine said it actually made her more of a football fan, because she started paying more attention to what was happening outside of her own favorite team. I would have to agree.

You should try it! :)

posted by valbee on Sep 04, 2010 at 10:16:45 pm     #

I'm starting to think we need a Toledo Talk fantasy football league....

posted by valbee on Sep 04, 2010 at 10:19:22 pm     #

Did a bit of quick reading, is there a single FF entity that all people use or play? How do you join?

Checked out the wikipedia page and http://fantasyfootball.com/ but still a bit confused on the subject.

posted by INeedCoffee on Sep 04, 2010 at 10:20:41 pm     #

Lots of platforms, INeedCoffee, but ESPN and Yahoo are probably the most popular free platforms. Other companies offer a pay-per-play arrangement with better features, but if you know a bit about the players you really do not need to pay extra for research.

You draft players who you believe will produce the most points under the given scoring rubric. A league, for example, might require you to start 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, a TE, a team defense, and a kicker, plus bench players to cover bye weeks and injuries. More complex leagues add features such as IDPs (individual defensive players) or salaries/salary caps, where you also have to figure in the price you are willing to pay for talent.

posted by historymike on Sep 04, 2010 at 10:27:52 pm     #

Valbee - haha yeah he sent it to me. Never expected that, I thought it was just talk...

posted by justphillips on Sep 05, 2010 at 12:38:52 am     #

INeedCoffee - As a hockey addict I normally do fantasy hockey, the only thing with Fantasy hockey and football is that hockey you need to change your roster daily, while football you just need to change it once a week. So if your going to do a fantasy hockey your going to need a few minutes a day to update the hockey roster...

posted by justphillips on Sep 05, 2010 at 12:40:02 am     #

Valbee - I did a football league with him one year. (Shortly after we were married, someone backed out of their league right before the draft & they needed a substitute quickly.).

I like sports, but the time commitment is just too much.

Work full time, 2 kids in elementary school with an enormous amount of home work, trying to muddle my way through grad school, plus I have a few organizations I try to volunteer for occasionally. Last thing I want to squeeze in time for is tracking all those stats for a fantasy team!

Which is part of my annoyance with my husband's fantasy sports addiction - multiple baseball & football leagues, plus the occasional hockey & basketball league, etc. It astounds me the amount of work, planning, organization, & effort he puts into that. If only he had ever shown that sort of effort towards any sort of career or education...lol

(The above statement is completely true, but not said in anger. Its a running joke between my husband & I.)

posted by mom2 on Sep 05, 2010 at 08:21:42 am     #

Agreed, mom2, that fantasy sports can consume inordinate amounts of time. It is a miracle that I managed to finish my doctorate during FF season, or rather that I managed to pull myself away from FF research to write the frigging dissertation.

posted by historymike on Sep 05, 2010 at 09:23:24 am     #

As far as strategies...go Kickers, early and often.

posted by Solleks on Sep 05, 2010 at 09:31:32 am     #

Mike, some players to target IMO:

Ray Rice
Jermichael Finley (I target these two in all my leagues)

Sleepers:
Arian Foster
Jahvid Best
Jabar Gaffney

posted by pink_slip on Sep 06, 2010 at 12:07:45 am     #

All good players, IMHO. I have your sleepers in both of my money leagues, but Rice andf Finley were both drafted before when I got to them.

posted by historymike on Sep 06, 2010 at 06:23:32 am     #

I think Zeke Bratkowski's gonna rack up ome big numbers...

posted by McCaskey on Sep 06, 2010 at 05:47:15 pm     #

some

posted by McCaskey on Sep 06, 2010 at 05:47:52 pm     #

Heh - I would have bet 10 bucks that Zeke Bratkowski had already passed on to Football Valhalla, but he is still alive and kicking. Nice Lombardi era reference, McCaskey.

posted by historymike on Sep 06, 2010 at 08:51:58 pm     #

Love my FF. Last draft is tomorrow night. Nothing like the last minute, but it helps to have it after final roster cuts and transactions. Like TJ going to Baltimore after Seattle cut him over the weekend.

posted by Hoops on Sep 07, 2010 at 08:27:24 am     #

Agreed, Hoops. I wavered and finally passed on Housh, not knowing whether he would land with a team or whether the team he landed with would be a viable offense. TJ believers should benefit, though Ray Rice's value might take a hit now that Flacco has three quality receivers to chuck the pigskin to (Boldin, Houshmandzadeh, and Mason).

posted by historymike on Sep 07, 2010 at 08:44:11 am     #

I've been out of the FF business for a few years, but I did manage to win a couple of titles in a 16-team league. If you do wind up in a league that size, get your RBs early & often - they are a precious commodity, and there are a lot fewer that you can pick up as free agents if a starter comes up lame or winds up a bust. It seems like there are more WRs that "come out of the woodwork" as the year progresses, which makes it easier to recover from a draft-day mistake.

My league used a team defense, and I almost always was the first guy to take one - they were a key to my success. I rarely took a QB before the fifth round, and a few times waited until the last round. Kickers got taken late, too.

And it helps to pay attention to what everyone else is doing. If you know that everyone else has already taken a QB, you might as well wait til the last round.

(One of my favorite FF sites was Fantasy Sharks - I think they're still around...)

posted by texlovera on Sep 07, 2010 at 04:44:59 pm     #