Might Buy A New Car-Where?

I'm thinking about purchasing a new vehicle. A few people I know who are also looking, tell me Michigan is the place to get one. Why would someone do that, with all the places in Ohio to buy a new car? I'm guessing a tax break is one of the reasons, or maybe the service in Michigan is better? Maybe it has something to do with Northtowne Chevy going under?

Thanks.

created by Wulf on Oct 11, 2010 at 03:29:45 pm     Business     Comments: 14

If a Ford, Lima Ford. Saved money and much better personalized service.

posted by holland on Oct 11, 2010 at 03:30:47 pm     #

Why buy new when you save so much more by buying used? I know the stat used to be that a car depreciates by about 30% when you drive it off the lot.

posted by Anniecski on Oct 11, 2010 at 03:35:19 pm     #

Ask Marcy Kaptur. I heard a report (unverified) that she recently purchased a car in Michigan instead of spending her money on a car in her own Ohio congresional district.

posted by KraZyKat on Oct 11, 2010 at 04:10:23 pm     #

I bought my first new car a month or so ago. Brown Honda never been happier. Spent a lot of time doing research, and the Accord is a very nice car, great rating, I'm saving a ton on gas compared to my last car just to name a few.

posted by INeedCoffee on Oct 11, 2010 at 04:26:07 pm     #

INC - curious as to why Brown? Jim White or University Honda in BG ever come to mind?

posted by Molsonator on Oct 11, 2010 at 05:01:45 pm     #

My last vehicle was a Silverado, from Dave White-in 2001.

posted by Wulf on Oct 11, 2010 at 05:10:44 pm     #

Buy it online. I bought my last car this way and I don't think I'll go car shopping again. The online experience takes the hassle out of the process.

posted by madjack on Oct 11, 2010 at 05:32:04 pm     #

Hard to smell the interior or kick the tires online.

posted by Linecrosser on Oct 11, 2010 at 08:11:30 pm     #

I heard a report (verified, at last debate) that Iott owns a bunch of foreign stuff.

KrazyKat - you never learn.

posted by Ryan on Oct 11, 2010 at 08:12:54 pm     #

I have had amazing service with Yark Subaru and will use them again when it's time to buy new.

posted by upso on Oct 11, 2010 at 08:18:24 pm     #

My family has had very good experiences with University Honda in BG.

Had a high-pressure, hard-seller-type come straight at my senior citizen mom at Jim White when we were looking for a car for her. Pissed me off. Never went back.

posted by oldhometown on Oct 11, 2010 at 08:25:25 pm     #

Madjack has a good point. Start online. Nearly every manufacturer has a "build your vehicle" button on their web site. I'm sure you have an idea of what you're looking for, so start this way, then see what the different dealerships want for the vehicle. Saves a lot of time and gas money, not to mention wear and tear on your Silverado.

posted by Anniecski on Oct 12, 2010 at 08:42:12 am     #

I did the online thing with a Prius and it's been sitting there, waiting. I go back when I remember and update it so it's ready to go when I sell my house.

posted by nana on Oct 13, 2010 at 10:45:14 pm     #

Molsonator: no particular reason, did my research on car type, safety, overall quality and never heard a bad story about honda's so I was pretty much sold on it. Especially since I was looking for reliability.

Brown was the first place I looked into and they gave me almost $3k off since I "shopped online" via their website. Same price at Jim White (before discount) and really enjoyed the experience at Brown.

Plus they gave me probably more than what my clunker was worth in trade in value, and was able to finance me through Honda Financial for a rate 2% cheaper than even my credit union could give me.

Overall 100% satisfaction so far. Only time will tell in terms of when things do break how they handle servicing it, but I feel confident for once when it comes to a car/dealership.

To add to the story, I ended up picking up a package to get my interior/exterior coated with a anti-stain/anti-rust and when I took my car in to get it done the guy who sold it to me lent me his own car for the day so I could get to work. Just had to have it back before he was off (and didn't require me taking time off from my own job).

posted by INeedCoffee on Oct 13, 2010 at 11:48:49 pm     #