Waterville polar bear swim?

does anyone know about the waterville polar bear dip on jan 1st? a google search didn't provide much.

if anyone could provide some info (time, location), it would be helpful.

thanks in advance.

created by Postal on Dec 30, 2010 at 11:53:29 am     Outdoors     Comments: 13

I'm going, but don't have the info right in front of me. Will post in a bit.

posted by weasel on Dec 30, 2010 at 11:54:49 am     #

would appreciate it....thanks!

posted by Postal on Dec 30, 2010 at 09:04:47 pm     #

Sign in front of fire station says 11:30 a.m. on the first.

posted by max on Dec 30, 2010 at 10:40:41 pm     #

do you know what stretch of the river?

posted by Postal on Dec 31, 2010 at 11:29:34 am     #

UPDATE.Webpage says 2:30 p.m. on the first, at Memorial Park river access.

posted by max on Dec 31, 2010 at 02:39:16 pm     #

thanks!! it should be fun.

posted by Postal on Dec 31, 2010 at 03:15:05 pm     #

The website is http://67.15.255.20/~watervi1/
On the right hand side of the page it says:
"The Annual Polar Plunge will be on Saturday January 1st at 2:30 p.m. at Memorial Park"

posted by Susan on Jan 01, 2011 at 11:48:17 am     #

All I can say is - the water was FREEZING!!! But it was still fun. I can scratch that off the bucket list.

posted by Newbie on Jan 01, 2011 at 04:56:54 pm     #

have to say i had fun. it was my first time, but it won't be my last. i supposedly have two friends that will be joining me next year.

anyhow, i didn't feel "cold" while in the water or afterwards. there was a strong stinging sensation that seemed to prevent any "cold" feeling for me.

good stuff.

posted by Postal on Jan 01, 2011 at 06:19:02 pm     #

anyone going this year? i'm assuming it's the same time, but does anyone know for sure.

a couple of web searches haven't given me any info.

posted by Postal on Dec 31, 2011 at 08:56:38 am     #

I couldn't do the polar plunge if I had it on my bucket list. I am very allergic to sudden temperature drops and would break out in hives. Plunging in to the icy river could be deadly.

For those that can do it, have fun, and do a double dip for me please.

posted by ToledoLatina on Dec 31, 2011 at 10:28:15 am     #

It was at 2:30. I'd estimate that about 80-100 people went in (in two adjacent areas) and there were about 500+ watching. Lots more than the last time I went about 25 years ago. Even saw a couple gray haired ladies go in. I'll bet real winter weather with ice and snow would have dampened the enthusiasm and lessened the turnout for the swimmers.

posted by Trilby on Jan 01, 2012 at 04:47:19 pm     #

i went again this year. there definitely weren't as many swimmers as last year.

anyhow, water levels were much higher, which made for an easy plunge. the wind, at times, was a bit on the brutal side.

all things considered, i'm glad i went again and intend on continueing the fun. i'm also happy my family put up with it and supported me while i did something silly.

posted by Postal on Jan 01, 2012 at 06:56:38 pm     #