Another downtown watering hole bites the dust...Easy Street Bar.

I was just told by one of their employees that tonight is their last night.

Someone listening to some of you guys around here would be fooled into believing the downtown Toledo bar scene was part of a thriving metropolis.

There still are a few more downtown watering holes that are circling the bowl.

Easy come, easy go.

Not to worry, the Chinese are here checkbook in hand.

created by 6th_Floor on Jan 30, 2011 at 01:19:37 am     Business     Comments: 1243

source      versions      5 people liked this

** Displaying only the last 100 comments. To read all 1243 comments, Click Here. **

What is EconCat88's agenda? He posted a video about The Elbo Room closing due to high water rates and the bad economy of Toledo, etc. However he never checked his facts and apparently made stuff up, One of the owners of The Elbo Room died and the other is in hospice - facts he could have confirmed if he would have just called the auctioneer. The fact is that the Elbo Room never made it to auction - it was bought before the scheduled auction, is undergoing some remodeling and will re-open soon. I posted this on his you tube site and he either doesn't care to check the facts or even delete my comment since it shows he was wrong. How much credibility can he have? How many of his other stories are not fact checked? Opinion is one thing, facts are quite another.

posted by Mike21 on Feb 09, 2014 at 03:16:34 pm     #   5 people liked this

Johio if u go to frickers on a non game night yes just about every frickers customer is parked on st clair.

posted by EconCat88 on Feb 09, 2014 at 03:28:40 pm     #

Mike21 im considering deleting that video after reading your post. However regarding any particular "agenda" I advise you that if you dont like my youtube channel or videos you have millions of options elsewhere.

posted by EconCat88 on Feb 09, 2014 at 03:31:58 pm     #   1 person liked this

Floral pursuits new posted saturday hours are 11a to 3p

posted by EconCat88 on Feb 09, 2014 at 03:36:34 pm     #

Mike21 I see you joined here jan 25 so if you found this board from the video you dislike you already have another excellent toledo based alternative away from my doom and gloom youtube videos that you despise.

posted by EconCat88 on Feb 09, 2014 at 03:40:25 pm     #

econcat88 What makes you think I despise your videos? (You assumed again and you know what that gets you). I never made any such comment or insinuation. I was pointing out your lack of correct facts. You are fortunate if the new owner doesn't sue you for libel. Actually that is the only video of yours that I have ever seen (someone posted it on facebook). After realizing you didn't check your facts with that one, I have no desire to see any of the others - you lack credibility. I am flattered you took the time to see when I joined this board. I have been reading items on here for a long time and only recently decided to comment on some of them.

posted by Mike21 on Feb 09, 2014 at 04:05:39 pm     #   2 people liked this

Mike since you believe I lack credibility ive already spent too much time replying to you. Your opinion will not change anything notable. Your comment isnt the first or last deleted comment. So my best and final answer is for you to no longer watch that particular video and since you dont watch other videos you also wont have another comment deleted.

posted by EconCat88 on Feb 09, 2014 at 04:25:40 pm     #

Im equally flattered that despite lacking credibility you took the time to notice your comment was deleted from my youtube page.

posted by EconCat88 on Feb 09, 2014 at 04:27:44 pm     #   3 people liked this

econcat88 - you have proven yourself that you lack credibility by saying you "are considering deleting that video after reading" my post about it. I simply pointed out your facts were wrong but you are only "considering" deleting that post - that does wonders for your "credibility". I'm glad you think you already spent too much time responding to me (even though you did again - twice!). Perhaps you can spend the time that you won't be responding to me by checking the facts on any other videos you might have made. By the comments made on this string, the Elbo Room video is not the only one you made up facts for.

posted by Mike21 on Feb 09, 2014 at 04:55:10 pm     #

Driving around Toledo today, there are going to be plenty of tires and rims biting the dust from pothole damage. There needs to be several videos of Toledo's awful roads.

posted by 6th_Floor on Feb 09, 2014 at 07:33:06 pm     #

I don't think the awful roads would be exclusive to Toledo. I would guess any city north of the Mason Dixon that has asphalt roads is experiencing the same conditions we are. Which is probably a good motivator to make the move to concrete for a lot of the roads. Concrete sucks at high speeds, because of how much louder it is, but that wouldn't be an issue on city streets where you'd never (lawfully) exceed 35 mph anyway. And I don't give any credence to the $$ aspect of it, considering how much more work and repair asphalt requires over its significantly shorter lifespan.

posted by Johio83 on Feb 09, 2014 at 08:00:53 pm     #   1 person liked this

Well. Not to keep this thread off track, but I was in Detroit on Friday. There are so many streets that have never seen a plow, that people have given up on their cars and have started taking buses. Woodward near the zoo still hasn't seen a plow! Even the nicer areas surrounding, like royal oak, haven't had ANY residential streets plowed. I wonder if that helps with potholes...

posted by ahmahler on Feb 09, 2014 at 08:10:15 pm     #

Toledo politicians have been robbing the road improvement funds to delay cutting pay and benefits of the city's workforce. Bad winter or not, what we are seeing now is the results of years of misallocated funds.

Toledo really shouldn't be spending millions upgrading parks with roads in such horrible condition. The number and size of potholes I saw today along the AW Trail leaving DT is shameful. The lunacy of spending millions for parks is very similar to now wanting to waste more money to create pedestrian walkways along streets created for vehicle traffic. This city needs real infrastructure upgrades, not pedestrian walkways next to 5/3 Field...a facility that's utilized, at most 75 days per year.

Toledoans paying the bills for this nonsense need to start speaking louder about how the roads have been allowed to deteriorate to their current state.

Toledo talks about improving it's image, which many claim will spur economic growth. Having roads that won't tear apart vehicles while driving normally would be a sensible starting point.

Ahmahler, if Toledo is on par or near Detroit in this type of category, we really should give up hope.

posted by 6th_Floor on Feb 09, 2014 at 08:40:04 pm     #

Steering the thread back to it's overall theme...I do believe ending vehicle traffic along that block of St. Clair will be the beginning of the end of profitable years for DT Fricker's.

For a while, I've had to listen about how much the 5/3 expansion is going to help Fricker's (which I don't agree with), but after yesterday the tone changed because of the latest whispers about vehicle traffic being eliminated along that block of St. Clair.

Sam Okun Produce would really be in a pickle if that block of Huron was closed to vehicles.

posted by 6th_Floor on Feb 09, 2014 at 08:48:08 pm     #

6th-Toledo isn't even close to Detroit, in this respect. While, we are in bad pothole shape, it's no different than any snow belt city this year. In Toledo, streets never getting plowed, is the exception. In Detroit, it's rare to find major roads plowed. i75 north of the city has only half of the far left lane plowed. It's bad. We should consider ourselves very lucky.

posted by ahmahler on Feb 09, 2014 at 08:56:46 pm     #   1 person liked this

I've spent quite a bit of time in other cities and I don't think anybody in Toledo should feel lucky. However, using Detroit as a barometer or benchmark is an effective method to make Toledo appear less doomsday.

posted by 6th_Floor on Feb 09, 2014 at 09:13:12 pm     #   3 people liked this

we really should give up hope.

You did a long time ago henny penny. It's your schtick. You are a but a wee Eeyore in a world of engaged, positive, involved and (eeeek) successful people.

Original theme of the thread? Ok. On that topic, "the chinese" didn't buy any property here. Some Chinese people who own a company called "Dashing Pacific Group" did. The Chinese state did not.
Whether you know the difference is not important. I'm just sick of idiots saying "the Chinese" this and "the Chinese" that. It is so ignorant and xenophobic. At least criticize Yuan Xiaohong if you have something stupid to say about how other people spend their money and execute their business plan.

posted by justread on Feb 09, 2014 at 09:24:10 pm     #   9 people liked this

6th_Floor posted at 06:33:06 PM on Feb 09, 2014:

I've been to chicago a bunch this winter... I'm in fact going again in a couple of days. They have the same pothole problem we do. I suspect most of the cities affected by this weird weather do. It sucks, but it's a part of extreme freezes and thaws. :(

posted by upso on Feb 09, 2014 at 09:38:25 pm     #   2 people liked this

Yeah, upso, I've heard most of my Chicago friends complain about potholes as well.

Well, the ones who have been able to dig out their cars and use them, anyhow. Most of them don't want to move their car and lose the parking spot they spent hours shoveling.

posted by mom2 on Feb 09, 2014 at 09:45:22 pm     #

Justread, ah yes, I knew you'd soon come along with your usual nonsense without adding anything useful. I created the thread and it has wandered a few times. Thankfully, jr controls the delete key here, not you. I welcome the Chinese aka Dashing Pacific investing their money here and still welcome future investment . So, save your xenophobic accusations for a more suitable poster.

posted by 6th_Floor on Feb 09, 2014 at 10:09:07 pm     #   7 people liked this

Nonsense?

Ok: Napoli is crooked and the sky is falling. And everything is closed, or closing and there's a meteor coming. And we're all gonna die a horrible death because a restaurant closed when it snowed really bad. Nobody in Toledo should feel lucky, because you don't.

posted by justread on Feb 10, 2014 at 07:01:42 am     #   6 people liked this

Swan Creek Candle @ Washington and Superior has decided to close until Fall. At that time, they're going to move to 145 S. Superior. The windows state 1145 S. Superior, but I'm assuming that's an error, because there's an empty space already for lease with similar items inside @ 145 S. Superior. I've always wondered how they've ever made money because there's rarely many customers inside when I'm in the area.

It seems odd they'd close a few days before Hens' opening day, since 5/3 Field is the area's draw for retail businesses, and apparently will remain closed for the entire baseball season, but what do I know?

Pita Pit opened today. I read the optimistic newspaper article earlier this month. It shouldn't take long for them to completely eliminate the Sunday hours and much of the early optimism fade.

posted by 6th_Floor on Mar 31, 2014 at 10:46:39 pm     #

Swan Creek Candle is a division of a company that has been in business since 1978. They have outllet stores in Swanton, OH, in Dundee, MI, Vermilion, OH, Toledo, OH, and Perry, MI. They also sell online and have many vendors.

Perhaps baseball fans on the way to and from games are not candle buyers. Perhaps they sell around the holidays, and in the summer they go into production mode to get product back out to all of the outlet stores and vendors.

Perhaps Swan Creek Candles isn't going out of business at all, and foot traffic as viewed through the window at the downtown Toledo outlet store is not a true indicator of their throughput.

posted by justread on Apr 01, 2014 at 07:33:06 am     #   2 people liked this

6th-Perhaps your lack of frequency of these posts of late should be an indication to you that downtown isn't dying quite the way you expected. I wish TT went back to 2001 and I could hear you prognosticate how no one would ever attend a ball game downtown. Want to do some dt market research? Try to find a parking spot on Friday.

posted by ahmahler on Apr 01, 2014 at 08:33:25 am     #

justreads was more or less correct. SCC isn't a division of anything, it's entirely its own company based in the warehouse district. But the shop in question is just one of several retail outlets they operate. In addition to that list, they also have an operation down in Leesburg, FL.

145 S Superior sounds odd to me. I would have expected them to move to the window front of their actual operation, which I think the number for is 118 S Superior.

And pure speculation here, but just looking over the facts: she basically has two sources of income, the candle company, and the real estate she owns (she's done a number of apartments downtown). She owns the building at Washington/Superior that the shop operates out of. Doesn't it stand to reason that maybe she see's that she could make more money by moving the candle shop to a less-prime piece of real estate, and either develop or sell that desired piece of property? 6th, surely with all of your business acumen, that possibility has jumped out at you.

posted by Johio83 on Apr 01, 2014 at 09:08:45 am     #   1 person liked this

I was under the impression this move has been in the works for quite some time. I recall hearing on more than one occasion that the building owner plans to redevelop the space next to the ballpark. That is prime real estate for the right tennant. I'm not a developer so I won't speculate anymore than that! :)

posted by upso on Apr 01, 2014 at 11:05:04 am     #

Mar 31, 2014 Swan Creek Candle Facebook post

We have some exciting news! Our Downtown Toledo Outlet Store will be moving to a larger, renovated location! The new location is the current location of our Internet Store, and is just down the street from the previous location - still in the heart of the Warehouse District. While we renovate this new location, scheduled to reopen in early Fall 2014, our Toledo Outlet Store will be temporarily closed.

We apologize for the temporary closing of the Toledo Store. We are relocating one block south to 114 S Superior St, and will be reopening at our new location in Fall 2014.

Closed outlet store is located at 413 Washington St.

Swan Creek Candle Co Distribution
114 S Superior St, Toledo, OH ‎
Google map of location: http://goo.gl/maps/nnBPc

posted by jr on Apr 01, 2014 at 01:33:20 pm     #

posted by endcycle on Apr 01, 2014 at 02:57:39 pm     #

posted by MIJeff on Apr 01, 2014 at 04:09:52 pm     #

Johio: 6th, surely with all of your business acumen, that possibility has jumped out at you.

Of course it has, because since they are selling so much without any visible foot traffic, it makes sense to free that space for something else and move their current zombie store to a less visible space. A candle store at that location never has been the highest and best use of that property. However, being a pro-market person, they certainly are free to lose their money any way they wish at that location.

Ahmahler, in 2001 I wasn't part of TT or any other net forum. I also didn't have any opinion then about the Hens or 5/3 Field. You usually make your points well, but your above post is very inaccurate and baseless.

Regarding my silence in this thread, this is a busy time of year for me and this thread has had long stretches of silence so it isn't unusual. I'm still downtown most days, and when something new happens, I post about it. You are hearing the recent news and thinking "this must really be it!" Downtown Toledo soon will be all it can be. Well, call me crazy, but frankly I've already seen this movie, many times.

With all the news and speculation going on in the area, I fully expected (once again) a rush of folks to try and get in before the real downtown "bonanza" begins. Also, expect many businesses that are destined to fail to "hang on" in hopes that the "next big thing downtown" will lift them to prosperity.

I'm actually happy to see new places popping up because it adds to the observations, and even I get bored looking at the same zombie businesses. Also, the new businesses aren't providing any of the "synergy" nonsense I've had to listen to, seemingly forever, from drones similar to Johio are in fact further squeezing the others.

So, despite the recent hype spike downtown, eventually either the customers come with cash to spend, or the doors close. They usually first go the route of not following posted business hours, scraping their business hours from the entrance, closing for remodeling, a broken microwave, all the while moving closer to facing reality that hype doesn't pay the bills. And yes, I'll be here posting about each closing as they occur.

DT market research and finding a parking spot Friday? Ok ahmahler, you have a bet, because I guarantee I'll be parked at the same downtown location I have parked at every weekday for a long time.

posted by 6th_Floor on Apr 04, 2014 at 12:55:24 am     #

It appears that Nutrition City is finally close to opening along the 600 block of Adams. NCity has an icecube's chance in hell of ever having a profitable year along that minefield of failed businesses, but I'm wise enough to admit that miracles do happen.

Upso or anybody here, Bleakhouse months ago placed a small sign in the window, but I've yet to see it actually open, so what's their status?

posted by 6th_Floor on Apr 04, 2014 at 01:17:58 am     #

6th-It was a joke-I don't think TT came around until 2003. I used an obvious success to illustrate how the sky is always falling in your world. Although, think about pre and post 5/3 field. Even after 2 recessions, the second being particularly lengthy, what a difference a decade makes downtown. We all may get excited because little things are happening, but look at the sustained success of many businesses that have popped up since 2001.

posted by ahmahler on Apr 04, 2014 at 07:53:58 am     #

Archives go back to 2005, there is something about an old site, cant find it at the moment, it might go back farther.

posted by MIJeff on Apr 04, 2014 at 08:39:49 am     #

Oops its on the bottom, goes from 2003 - 2007.

posted by MIJeff on Apr 04, 2014 at 08:40:51 am     #

ON TOPIC: the easy street condos seem to be coming along beautifully. The front facade looks awesome now.

posted by endcycle on Apr 04, 2014 at 10:39:59 am     #

6th_Floor posted at 01:17:58 AM on Apr 04, 2014:

doesn't look like much action ever took place in that nutrition city spot. The coming soon signs in the windows seem to be the only real upgrade that ever happened. I wonder what the story there is? I'm not downtown much these days so I'm a bit out of the loop.

As for Bleak House, it's still opening in the old Jominics space. The manager they had in place left town kind of abruptly so it took a bit to figure out who was going to run the show. I'm being told if all goes well it will be open the first week in May.

In other good news the Ottawa Tavern is working on a food truck and hope to have it launch on "419 day". I am very excited about this, as the chef they have leading the project is really amazing and will be bringing in some great concepts.

I also agree, the Easy Street building is looking great! Having spent a good chunk of my life living across the street it's so nice to see it's being taken care of.

posted by upso on Apr 04, 2014 at 12:10:40 pm     #   1 person liked this

In two days, Sears holding company will announce their first quarter results. Rumors are bleak. :(

Unlikely that it will just be the Northwood store that gets cut. Sears holding corp. is still cash poor and liquidating aggressively.

(Waits for Blade article on this subject.)

posted by justread on May 20, 2014 at 08:47:57 pm     #

You mean K-mart lite?

posted by MIJeff on May 20, 2014 at 08:53:36 pm     #

I toured the new Bleak House location yesterday. My friend has found two great young ladies to manage it. Sounds like they have some good ideas and I'm wishing them the best.

They plan on doing some food, including breakfast. If anyone has any special requests, let me know so I can pass them along!

They are actually in Chicago today getting coffee training via http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/ so things are looking good!

posted by upso on May 20, 2014 at 09:09:52 pm     #

Thanks for bumping this upso. Yesterday I saw the sign indicating bleakhouse finally was going to soon open.

In other news...so much to type but here it goes.

It appears the latest downtown business to bite the dust is "The Bar" across the street from Huntington, next door to CP, and formerly Players Bar. No real surprise, but I did notice this a week ago or so.

Nutrition City finally has opened along the death row for businesses (600 Adams). Do they really have a chance to survive a full year? It took them more than a year to open, but with the actual visible lack of customers and short operating hours, it may actually be in business less than a year. No posted business hours and it doesn't seem to be open weekends or after early afternoon weekdays. It's open early morning and today I noticed they had the doors propped open during lunchtime. Which btw is an obvious health violation.

It doesnt appear that Swan Creek Candle has any development plans for their space on Washington, but a CBRE for sale sign has been attached to the building.

The former Quimbys location on Huron is officially for lease and I've heard a ToledoTalk member was involved with purchasing the building earlier this year for $300k. A bargain price for that building imho.

Pita Pit has opened with much fan fare, but how long will it be before they follow the usual pattern of reducing operating hours? Whoever advised them to open for breakfast at 9am needs their head examined. Also expect the Sunday hours t disappear later this year.

Black Cloister @ Hanon's Block has started it's build out phase along with whatever the wine bar across from Registry Bistro is named. May the synergy begin soon!

I forgot now, but whatever is opening next to Wesleys seems to be very close to opening. Just what Adams Street needs right now...another bar/rest. More synergy!

A couple businesses along Adams that have been previously been mentioned as zombie businesses are still barely operating. Elite Events (1113 adams and open maybe twice the past month) and D&S Callabos (1501 adams is open maybe 2 or 3 days per week).

I also heard that Pat Giamarco really is going to open his bar/rest on Monroe...someday. Also, for the 55th time, Table Forty 4 is going to open a banquet hall on the 2nd floor. LOL

posted by 6th_Floor on May 20, 2014 at 10:59:06 pm     #

Upso or anybody else...is it true that Manhattans has decided to not pay the music license fees and no longer has live music? Their businesses appears to have decreased the past year.

posted by 6th_Floor on May 20, 2014 at 11:05:38 pm     #

Should just contact a vendor and have a jukebox installed, the installer takes care of the licenses I believe, and the place still gets half of the revenue.

posted by MIJeff on May 20, 2014 at 11:27:40 pm     #

I've heard the Manhattans rumor about music as well, but to be honest I really like the place without the entertainment. We've visited a couple of times recently to check out their new menu (which is pretty good btw) and enjoyed being able to hear each other talk.

"The Bar" has been closed for a while hasn't it? I feel like I noticed it's shuddered doors a while ago. You'd think.... that location would be absolutely perfect for the right fit, it's a great space and I have fond memories from it's previous lives but the location seems doomed. Maybe after the wine bar opens and that block gets a little more energized someone else will step in...

Any more info on the Quimby's building 6th? I'm not in the warehouse district much these days but I love that building and hope something good goes in there. I think Huron street has strong potential if they can ever figure out some sort of anchor in the Erie Street Market.

If you haven't noticed, Graphite Design & Build on huron next to gathered glass blowing is refurbishing the building's facade. I got a little sneak peak and it looks great.

Can only imagine what that area will be like once the Berdan building is developed.

The space next to Wesley's is a place called "Moxies Live" I believe. I've heard it's going to be a bar focused on the arts, with hours for TSA students to hang out in the afternoon (no booze then obviously) and then adult funky types in the evening. I don't know anyone involved, but it's pretty cool to see that building get fancied up. I wish them the best.

posted by upso on May 21, 2014 at 01:40:43 pm     #

Can't discuss any details, as it's only at a negotiation point and nothing is official yet (and it's also not my place to break other people's news) but don't worry about Swan Creek Candle's Washington St location.

posted by Johio83 on May 21, 2014 at 01:56:05 pm     #

"Oh... also, my buddy (the guy who owns bleak house) just bought the old triangle building at Michigan and Washington (901 washington) and plans to move his law practice over there after some rehab."

That building is awesome. Glad someone is doing something with it.

All I got out of them was that it's not Trader Joe's. :)

The agri-people have a successful model that's working in Columbus and a few other cities, and they're excited to be bringing it here too.

Some other interesting stuff from the meeting - Pita Pit people are really happy with their first months of operation. I guess business is better than they expected. The art supply depot is doing kids' classes and mini-camps, and they also do parties. There is also a sushi restaurant coming to that block on st clair as well, and some cool neighborhood beautification projects were planned for upcoming weeks.

Met a lot of very interesting people at the meeting, definitely will attend the next one I can.

posted by endcycle on May 21, 2014 at 03:12:01 pm     #   3 people liked this

Rumor for the point are that Merchant Landings will get a El Camino restaurant and a Beauty Salon along with a Dance Studio, the place looks a lot better since they have been working on it, whole new facade last year and I have seen them working on the roof all over the whole plaza.

posted by MIJeff on May 21, 2014 at 03:29:56 pm     #

Ah cool... didn't know we were allowed to talk about the Sushi developments yet! Some very smart and talented people involved with that project!

posted by upso on May 21, 2014 at 03:31:02 pm     #

endcyle:

"..........Side note Re: ESM: was at the warehouse district meeting yesterday morning @ michael's for breakfast. Some VERY VERY cool developments for it with a sustainable agriculture producer taking up a significant chunk of the building (they are finalizing lease details and want to be in by mid-june. They're also partnered up with what they called an "upscale" grocery chain who had large interest and had gotten quite some distance with the last Mayor's admin and are restarting negotiations with the Collins team.............."

That would be great. And, it would make sense that it isn't a TJ's - as they are not an upscale store. I love 'em but upscale they are not.

posted by Foodie on May 21, 2014 at 03:32:03 pm     #

upso posted at 03:31:02 PM on May 21, 2014:

yeah, they didn't name names, but if it's who I think it is, I'm really excited.

posted by endcycle on May 21, 2014 at 04:35:16 pm     #

MIJeff posted at 03:29:56 PM on May 21, 2014:

Well, I'll take whatever development we can get - but, El Camino? Like there aren't enough of them already? You must keep your ear to the ground MIJeff!

posted by Foodie on May 21, 2014 at 05:41:02 pm     #

Upso: Any more info on the Quimby's building 6th?

I really don't have any idea if Mr. Ball and the TT'er that purchased the building have any of their own plans since the building is only for lease. Maybe they just believed the 300k asking price was cheap enough to speculate.

300k seems like a bargain in my opinion if only viewing the property from a replacement cost standpoint.

I'm pretty sure the tt'er reads this thread but haven't seen him comment much in this thread, so hopefully he reads our recent posts and adds to the discussion.

posted by 6th_Floor on May 21, 2014 at 05:47:50 pm     #

Upso: "The Bar" has been closed for a while hasn't it?

It was open as recently as a couple weeks ago, but it does appear to have recently bit the dust. Not surprising since it hasn't ever drawn any significant crowds since the most recent ownership change.

posted by 6th_Floor on May 21, 2014 at 05:58:27 pm     #

The bar had an owner with no previous bar management experience, expensive parking anytime there was an event at the Huntington Center, and no identity. Some nights they had pool leagues, sometimes karaoke and sometimes a DJ. They offered nothing that dozens of other bars in town that are more convenient to go to offer. People will come downtown for good drinks, good food and good entertainment at reasonable prices, but not for something they can find at their neighborhood watering hole.

posted by Mike21 on May 21, 2014 at 06:41:02 pm     #   1 person liked this

Foodie posted at 05:41:02 PM on May 21, 2014:
MIJeff posted at 03:29:56 PM on May 21, 2014:

The people working in that cigarette store have all the dope on whats going on there.

posted by MIJeff on May 21, 2014 at 06:41:39 pm     #

6th, agreed. 300k for that building is a goddamn steal. Only problem is it has zero parking associated with it. None the less, it's a huge and beautiful space in a great location.

posted by upso on May 21, 2014 at 11:52:00 pm     #

Finally a sushi restaurant downtown will be opening at 38 s st clair. I believe thats where the broken microwave put the previous business under. I will be a customer and there sure are a lot of new places opening so I should be keeping busy.

posted by EconCat88 on May 30, 2014 at 01:06:36 pm     #

38 s. st clair? Was that also where the meat market was and where Damien rehearsed in the 90s?

posted by justread on May 30, 2014 at 01:20:56 pm     #

Has anybody else heard that Mama Scola (Hungry I) bit the dust today?

The person who told me said they read it on Moussa's facebook but I don't have an account.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jun 16, 2014 at 01:45:23 pm     #

For the last five years, The Hungry I & Mama LaScolaís Italian Kitchen has proudly served the Sylvania community, providing quality food in a family-friendly atmosphere. Now, as our lease expires, it is with heavy hearts that we announce our closure, effective Sunday, June 15. We are currently looking for a new location. We will give an update when we have locked one in.

We would like to thank our loyal customers and employees. We are very thankful and grateful for each and every one of you.

It has been a pleasure to serve you. I hope you will visit us at our flagship location Ė LaScola Italian Grill on Airport Highway.

Gus Nicolaidis & Moussa Salloukh
Owners

I didn't realize they had been there five years.

posted by MrsArcher on Jun 16, 2014 at 01:49:44 pm     #

On Facebook -

Gus Nicolaidis & Moussa Salloukh
Owners

posted by Molsonator on Jun 16, 2014 at 01:50:22 pm     #

Tough location! I wish them the best.

posted by upso on Jun 16, 2014 at 03:27:43 pm     #

Would love to have more dining options in the Point or along the Alexis strip out to Telegraph. Toys R Us building will be available soon hehe.

posted by MIJeff on Jun 16, 2014 at 03:29:44 pm     #

I'm sure it was more than the location - Mancy's, Sonny Berry's Supper Club and The Whitehouse Inn - to name a few - all have crappy locations, but have been successful for decades...

posted by Mike21 on Jun 16, 2014 at 03:56:54 pm     #

The deal was done today for the swan creek candle building on washington. Mary bennett is the buyer. Hopefully packos will expand their patio beyond the current 4 tables??

posted by EconCat88 on Jun 16, 2014 at 07:07:19 pm     #

Heard that Mama LaScola's closed due to high water rates. ;)

posted by TrilbyGuy on Jun 16, 2014 at 07:32:39 pm     #   1 person liked this

They are just trying to avoid honoring that gift card.

posted by justread on Jun 18, 2014 at 09:52:27 am     #

UPSO on April 4th:

We're into July now...will Bleak House finally open this month?

After seeing how poorly operated many places are, it shouldn't surprise me, but It amazes me how BH ever expects to make money when a one block move has taken them more than 7 months.

Cork & Craft also appears very close to its grand opening after some delays.

Hey Upso, I've been to Grumpy's a couple times this summer, but have yet to see you there. I read the post that you made about no longer part of the place, but have you also moved out of Toledo or is it a temporary work-related relocation?

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 07, 2014 at 08:46:31 pm     #

Also noticed that Registry Bistro had another "staff holiday" closing from June 29 - July 8th.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 07, 2014 at 08:49:42 pm     #

6th-registry closes twice a year for a week, the week you mentioned and the week after New Years. That's been their policy since before they opened. They pick the 2 slowest weeks of the year. Spoke to the owner today, and it's been fairly crazy without a break for a while. She was about to start prepping for a jammin' week.

Veritas cork and craft is indeed close. They have passed preliminary inspection and are awaiting some refrigeration units before final inspection.

posted by ahmahler on Jul 07, 2014 at 11:09:08 pm     #

I keep seeing folks work on thr new site for El Camino up here at Merchant Landing, rumor is end of August for an opening.

posted by MIJeff on Jul 07, 2014 at 11:16:33 pm     #

@6th bleak house is actually opening this saturday at 10am. Swing by, and give them a hard time for being so slow in getting things rolling. ;)

I've seen some update pictures and the interior looks pretty great. They are smart to launch on a weekend day versus a weekday just to get the kinks out.

Send me a private message if you plan on visiting so I can meet up with you!

Related, the Happy Badger is now doing both Saturday AND Sunday brunches and Black Kite coffee in the OWE starting this weekend. This week's menu looks pretty awesome.

As for your questions about me? I am currently in Chicago 5 days a week and spending weekends home in Toledo. Going forward? Not sure... but I'll be getting an apartment here (chi) sooner than later. I loved the downtown Toledo restaurant biz, but an opportunity came up I couldn't pass up. If you know anything about my past, you'll understand. :)

posted by upso on Jul 07, 2014 at 11:58:24 pm     #

@6th more info on bleak house's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BleakHouseCoffee

posted by upso on Jul 08, 2014 at 12:00:27 am     #

Bummer because I was in Chicago last Wednesday for business, but had several hours to spare before my return flight.

I probably won't have time to visit this Saturday, but I'll have a look at BH soon.

Good luck in Chicago.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 08, 2014 at 12:31:20 am     #

Thanks dude. Would love to connect at some point. Let me know the next time you're in Chicago. ALso... let me know what you think of BH's relaunch!

posted by upso on Jul 08, 2014 at 12:42:58 am     #

upso - a good friend of mine manages an apartment building in Chicago. The company he works for has real estate through out the area. If you would like I could hook you two up?

posted by Molsonator on Jul 08, 2014 at 02:49:44 am     #   1 person liked this

hey that's great! sending you a PM

posted by upso on Jul 08, 2014 at 12:46:02 pm     #

Bleak House finally opened last Saturday. They provided several excuses for the delayed opening such as: management changes, bad winter, pipes freezing, inadequate funding. The coffee was ok.

Since their business hours weren't posted on the door I asked.

M-F 6:30-4
Saturday 10-4

There also was something about a "fundraiser" for an sign/awning since the business looks somewhat ridiculous with the uncovered metal rack above the entrance. The goal is to raise $5,000 and they currently have $2,000. I really doubt the $2,000 exists and if so, maybe they instead of used that to open sooner.

Considering they aren't even able to afford a meager sign, I doubt BH will ever be profitable, but it's possible it'll stumble around for a year or two before closing.

Another business has opened DT named Shineology on 10th Street. TCP's article about it gives the impression it's very similar to Nutrition City. It probably stands a lesser chance of survival than Bleak House, so I'll save typing further about it now, and instead wait until it closes within the next 6-12 months.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 14, 2014 at 07:19:52 pm     #

If anyone is curious about Shineology, they have a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shineology/402113809928952 Business seems to be focused on raw / fresh juices. Location seems odd to me, but I wish them well.

I also with BH the best. The two young ladies that are running it, are certainly giving it the ol' college try. They went to Chicago recently to learn how to properly serve coffee. It's a pretty cool program: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/product/merchandise/chicago-barista-class

As for the signs etc... give 'em a break. Their friends from Graphite Design & Build built out their counter. http://graphitedandb.com/

BH has some talented friends and I'm sure they'll sort out everything over time. How long they'll last? Only time will tell, but it's certainly fun to hear about their progress. That space has come a long way from it's Jominic's days.

posted by upso on Jul 14, 2014 at 08:48:37 pm     #   6 people liked this

"Considering they aren't even able to afford a meager sign, I doubt BH will ever be profitable"

Seriously? 6th, I know you're always coming at things from a dollars and sense standpoint, but really... judging their ability to run a business based on the quality of their sign before they've even opened? Kinda grasping at straws there, aren't you?

posted by Johio83 on Jul 15, 2014 at 12:48:29 am     #

Also, I'm a generous man when it comes to betting, so I'll give you the long odds on your prediction. Should we ever meet, I'll place a beer on July 14th, 2015. If Bleak House is still open then, you've got a brew on me.

posted by Johio83 on Jul 15, 2014 at 12:52:16 am     #

Er... I should learn to place wagers before I start betting. If it is CLOSED before July 14th, the beer is on me. Otherwise, I might find myself a bit thirsty, and in need of a refreshment...

posted by Johio83 on Jul 15, 2014 at 12:53:07 am     #

Seriously Johio, you're actually disagreeing with my speculation BH has reopened on shaky footing? It's actually the opposite of grasping for straws...it seems utterly obvious.

BH's business appeared lousy while at Spitzer, and then it needed 7.5 months to move one block, and has resorted to a "fundraiser" in order to have a basic sign/awning that'll cost a few thousand dollars?

Also, regardless the type of business, it shouldn't be difficult to determine that the 600 block of Adams is a tough business location...to even the most optimistic people here such as you and upso. The location already has miserably failed as a couple different sub shops the past 10 years and also was vacant during large chunks of that decade.

Keep drinking your kool-aid pal.

I said a year or two, so you have a bet if BH is still in business 18 months from last Saturday's opening. Let me know.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 15, 2014 at 02:01:52 pm     #

Upso: Ah theres the 6th Floor I've grown to love. Thanks for the positive vibes buddy!

You're welcome Upso, and I feel the same about you and your 4* & 5* Yelp ratings for just about every restaurant from NY to San Francisco.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 15, 2014 at 02:04:10 pm     #

Upso: BH has some talented friends and I'm sure they'll sort out everything over time.

Surely one or more of them knows how to create a decent sign, eh?

Heck, humor me with some heavy-duty cardboard makeshift blank sign until they can afford an actual bearing their name.

If you haven't already, make sure you stop at BH, because I'm anxiously awaiting your Yelp BH 5* posting. Anything lower from you about BH would be earth-shattering.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 15, 2014 at 02:15:11 pm     #

Holy Toledo! Upso with a rarely 1* Yelp post (which doubled the total 1*)! Don't get weak-kneed and change it to a 2* like you did with Westside Bistro earlier this year.

Pollo Volador

Category: Latin American
Neighborhood: Albany Park

3402 W Montrose Ave
Chicago, IL 60618
(773) 463-0228

"Popped in at 8pm to be told they were closed. When asked when they closed, we were told 9:30. Will try again and hope better for the next round. "

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 15, 2014 at 02:24:00 pm     #

Has this become a personal attack/stalkfest on Upso?

posted by justread on Jul 15, 2014 at 02:35:32 pm     #   11 people liked this

6th_Floor that is pretty creepy. I can understand that you do not agree with someone's opinion but if you are out there stalking them on the internet you need to find a new hobby.

posted by glasscityguy on Jul 15, 2014 at 03:17:21 pm     #   5 people liked this

Stopped in at Bleak House today after lunch at Ranya's. Several full tables and a line at the register the whole time we were there. I'm sure they're just circling the drain, though.

Their iced coffee is great, by the way.

posted by kaj on Jul 15, 2014 at 04:26:51 pm     #   1 person liked this

well this got predictably weird!

posted by upso on Jul 15, 2014 at 04:39:58 pm     #   4 people liked this

That's the thing about 6th_Floor. Any good points or observations he makes are completely over shadowed by how much of a creepy asshole he is.

As to Bleak House, if they'll actually keep normal coffe shop hours I'll patronize them. My biggest complaint about their previous location is that they didn't open till after 8 in the morning. Making it impossible to grab a cup before work.

posted by hunkytownsausage on Jul 15, 2014 at 04:44:10 pm     #   1 person liked this

Anybody happen to know what the situation is with the ground floor commercial space in the LaSalle Building? I know it just got bought by an investment group, so I don't know if anything is in the works. Seems like that would've been a logical place for BH to go once the Spitzer closed up, if those spaces were actually available.

posted by Johio83 on Jul 15, 2014 at 04:48:48 pm     #

kaj: Several full tables and a line at the register the whole time we were there.

Sounds like a similar to the "lines out the door" at lunchtime a certain TT poster claimed about Jominics Subs but the place went under in about a year or so. Time will be the ultimate barometer, but with several full tables they should reach their sign fundraiser goals in the coming months!

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 15, 2014 at 06:09:59 pm     #

Upso, it's nearly as weird as a 1* rating from you.

Justread, it isn't an attack. I like the guy and usually chuckle while anticipating him providing a counter opinion to just about every criticism of Toledo or OWE. With 4,400 posts he more or less is the mascot of TT...moving to Chicago, notwithstanding.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 15, 2014 at 06:26:14 pm     #

"... more or less is the mascot of TT...moving to Chicago, notwithstanding."

Minus the facts, I can understand the ignorant Chi-Town reference because you overlooked the possibility that life is more complex than you realize, and it's nobody else's business.

Troll on while you can. I hear they have an opening or two at SB.

posted by jr on Jul 15, 2014 at 06:48:46 pm     #   9 people liked this

Jr, I've lived life on the road, but thanks for your own bush league shot.

posted by 6th_Floor on Jul 15, 2014 at 08:01:22 pm     #

eh... It's not really a bush league shot.

ďUpso, it's nearly as weird as a 1* rating from you.Ē

whatís weird is referencing a totally separate social media outlet that has nothing to do with Toledo Talk on TT.

I joined yelp in í11 as a co-owner of a restaurant who wanted to promote other restaurants I liked. I avoided reviewing restaurants I didnít like because I was in the business and felt it was best not to comment. I only made one 1* review during my tenure, and it was because I could not help myself.

During my 3 years involved in a restaurant and also as a yelper, I was also 100% in Toledo so I could only yelp so much. In around 3 years I posted around 130+ Toledo yelps and thought I was helping spread the word on good Toledo vibes.

Now I am on contract in Chicago, not involved in the restaurant biz, and in a city that has SO many more restaurants to explore than Toledo. I am changing my ratings to accommodate and will Iím sure be posting more 1, 2 & 3 stars in the process. Iím also yelping a boatload more while Iím here. Itís fun. I like it.

Once againÖ weíre talking yelp. Itís not rocket science. Anyone can use it. Nothing to be taken too serious.

THANKFULLY, in both Chicago and Toledo, I surround myself with positive people and for the most part most of my friends are food centric so I typically go to good restaurants. Actually, I try my hardest to only go to good restaurants!

I realize my yelp account is public, and it may affect some peopleís filter of their opinion of me, but for the recordÖ I use it to document the awesome places Iím eating on a regular basis for fun.

I apologize in advance if that changes your perception of my posts on other social media like my posts here on Toledo Talk.

Oh and related:

ďWith 4,400 posts he more or less is the mascot of TT...moving to Chicago, notwithstanding.Ē

No plans on moving my friend. Working out of Chicago on an amazing project. Still own my house in Toledo and am in Town during the weekends and as much as I can in general.

Iíve got lord knows how many posts on Facebook. The 4,400 on TT. 7,444 tweets at the time of this post. 1,822 instagram posts as well. Pretty sure a boat load on other message boards as well and a good chunk of that output is pro toledo. I figure Iím a mascot of Toledo in general at this point and not just Toledo Talk.

But regardless. Iím just trying to enjoy life, and have fun. Sorry if that rubs you or anyone else the wrong way. I think Toledo is great. Chicago is great. The midwest is great. These are values Iíve had for my entire life.

posted by upso on Jul 16, 2014 at 12:42:32 am     #   13 people liked this

6th_Floor posted at 06:09:59 PM on Jul 15, 2014:

That certain one was me. And the line out the door was about a week before they closed- I'll own being wrong about Jominics. In retrospect, the lines I experienced might have been due to the slow service that seemed to never quite improve. I miss them a lot, too - great subs.

Ah well. I can't always be right.

posted by endcycle on Jul 16, 2014 at 08:56:54 am     #

upso posted at 12:42:32 AM on Jul 16, 2014:

eh... It's not really a bush league shot.

ďUpso, it's nearly as weird as a 1* rating from you.Ē

Oh and related:

Yelp, that about covers it.

posted by McCaskey on Jul 16, 2014 at 12:10:47 pm     #

Upso says: I figure Iím a mascot of Toledo in general at this point and not just Toledo Talk.

Not to mention, Toledo's top hipster. :-)

Sorry, Dustin; I couldn't resist.

posted by Anniecski on Jul 16, 2014 at 12:40:22 pm     #   2 people liked this

Not sure if Bleak House is going to have strong or mediocre success or will fail, but this morning they had a dozen people in there when I went to get coffee around 9 a.m., and they have posted hours that say they open at 6 a.m.

posted by Nolan_Rosenkrans on Jul 17, 2014 at 09:27:36 am     #   1 person liked this