Giving Something Up for Lent?

Recent forays into PaczkiLand have reminded me that people used to use up all their butter and sugar before Lent. I have been thinking about giving up sugar for the duration. It's easy enough to avoid the sugar bowl, but to really give it up, I'd have to scrutinize every salad dressing, box of crackers and loaf of bread to make sure.

Then again, I know a guy who just gives up chewing gum!

Is anyone planning to give something up for spiritual reasons?

created by viola on Mar 08, 2011 at 12:19:54 pm     Religion     Comments: 25

Coffee. 325 days of the year, it is a daily habit, and an addiction.

posted by skippy5k on Mar 08, 2011 at 01:11:50 pm     #

I'm giving up fast food, and going to do some volunteer work at the church soup kitchen.

I was thinking about giving up coffee for obvious reasons but ultimately didn't. Fast food is worse on my life (I eat out daily) then my coffee habit. Plus the money I save by not eating out I can give to the soup kitchen.

posted by INeedCoffee on Mar 08, 2011 at 01:17:40 pm     #

I'm going to give up pop. I have a serious caffeine addiction, so it will be a challenge.

I selected pop as opposed to all caffeine, because my morning coffee on workdays probably isn't hurting much. The pop is a far more significant issue.

posted by mom2 on Mar 08, 2011 at 02:00:49 pm     #   1 person liked this

Pop and as much fast food as my lifestyle will allow. Here's to hoping!

posted by OhioKimono on Mar 08, 2011 at 02:15:50 pm     #   1 person liked this

I gave up pop more or less a year ago and dropped almost 25lbs over about 2 months. No working out or other changes just gave up regular soda.

They have this mini-exhibit at Cosi that shows how many sugar cubes are in a single can of soda (and different brands) couldn't believe it. Guess I see some older folks call it Sugar water.

posted by INeedCoffee on Mar 08, 2011 at 05:15:55 pm     #   1 person liked this

Years ago almost overnight I just could not drink pop or milk any longer. Just the thought made me gag. I got lucky that way. I don't really drink coffee. I should give up booze, but lets be realistic. How about I give up being a hyperactive spazz on here and try to be rational with people? Wish me luck!

posted by Ryan on Mar 08, 2011 at 07:12:12 pm     #   3 people liked this

Ryan - How about Glee? Beat Hockey to it.

I was told by a very wise Priest that you don't have to give anything up if you ad something to your life in that time. I try to do both.

posted by Molsonator on Mar 08, 2011 at 07:36:45 pm     #   1 person liked this

food
;p

posted by nana on Mar 08, 2011 at 09:18:30 pm     #

I would not give up coffee for reasons stated in the article below!

By Kerri-Ann Jennings, M.S., R.D., Associate Nutrition Editor at EatingWell Magazine

I know that coffee is fine in moderation. It has lots of antioxidants and is low in calories if you don’t load it up with cream and sugar.

Over 18,000 studies on coffee have been published in the past few decades, revealing these benefits:

1. It protects your heart: Moderate coffee drinkers (1 to 3 cups/day) have lower rates of stroke than noncoffee drinkers, an effect linked to coffee’s antioxidants. Coffee has more antioxidants per serving than blueberries, making it the biggest source of antioxidants in American diets. All those antioxidants may help suppress the damaging effect of inflammation on arteries. Immediately after drinking it, coffee raises your blood pressure and heart rate, but over the long term, it actually may lower blood pressure as coffee’s antioxidants activate nitric oxide, widening blood vessels.

2. It diverts diabetes: Those antioxidants (chlorogenic acid and quinides, specifically) play another role: boosting your cells’ sensitivity to insulin, which helps regulate blood sugar. In fact, people who drink 4 or more cups of coffee each day may have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to some studies. Other studies have shown that caffeine can blunt the insulin-sensitivity boost, so if you do drink several cups a day, try mixing in decaf occasionally.

3. Your liver loves it: OK, so the research here is limited, but it looks like the more coffee people drink, the lower their incidence of cirrhosis and other liver diseases. One analysis of nine studies found that every 2-cup increase in daily coffee intake reduced liver cancer risk by 43 percent. Again, it’s those antioxidants—chlorogenic and caffeic acids—and caffeine that might prevent liver inflammation and inhibit cancer cells.

4. It boosts your brain power: Drinking between 1 and 5 cups a day (admittedly a big range) may help reduce risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, as well as Parkinson’s disease, studies suggest. Those antioxidants may ward off brain cell damage and help the neurotransmitters involved in cognitive function to work better.

5. It helps your headaches: And not just the withdrawal headaches caused by skipping your daily dose of caffeine! Studies show that 200 milligrams of caffeine—about the amount in 16 ounces of brewed coffee—provides relief from headaches, including migraines. Exactly how caffeine relieves headaches isn’t clear. But scientists do know that caffeine boosts the activity of brain cells, causing surrounding blood vessels to constrict. One theory is that this constriction helps to relieve the pressure that causes the pain, says Robert Shapiro, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor of neurology and director of the Headache Clinic at the University of Vermont Medical School.

posted by renegade on Mar 09, 2011 at 12:49:12 am     #   2 people liked this

Do cats count?

posted by dralionagogo on Mar 09, 2011 at 01:18:22 am     #

I'm giving up thinking I can be in control. I'd like to give up my impatience, but I'm not sure how successful I can be at that. And I'm thinking of giving up cable.

posted by Anniecski on Mar 09, 2011 at 10:29:57 am     #   1 person liked this

Processed foods. This is going to be very difficult.

posted by transcom on Mar 09, 2011 at 11:23:29 am     #

Last year I tried to give up french fries. I made it about two weeks. I love me some spuds. I should give up junk food, but we just got our Girl Scout cookies and you can have my Samoas when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

posted by Ace_Face on Mar 09, 2011 at 01:59:32 pm     #   2 people liked this

Annie - I gave up cable in Jan. I have not missed it at all since.

We were paying roughly $800 a year for...what? tons of commercials, home shopping channels and general junk. the only thing we miss is the History and Discovery Channel.

2 Days ago I bought netflix for only $10 a month. No commercials, streaming tv direct to the computers in my house and tv...and for $700 less a year then cable.

Do it...FREE YOURSELF FROM CABLE!

posted by OhioKimono on Mar 09, 2011 at 02:57:33 pm     #   1 person liked this

I'm giving up believing what politicians say.

posted by hockeyfan on Mar 09, 2011 at 04:29:50 pm     #

Annie - I gave up cable in Jan. I have not missed it at all since.

I've been without home cable service since 2007. I haven't missed it either (especially the monthly bill). BTW, HDTV looks better if you can get a clear over-the-air signal (cable compresses their signals, lowering quality--even the "HD" channels).

I love my Roku box for streaming Netflix. I have the streaming only for $7.99 a month (no DVDs for me, but I don't care). Roku also has a number of other free and pay "channels" you can use too...totally up to you what to use or pay for.

the only thing we miss is the History and Discovery Channel.

Do you really? There's a ton of documentaries and National Geographic and PBS stuff on Netflix. Besides, if I go past the History Channel when I'm watching TV at the gym, I end up getting pissed off because they are running "Pawn Stars" or "American Pickers" or some such crap that doesn't have anything to much to do with "history". But those shows get huge ratings, so what do I know?

I missed ESPN, but I can get mlbtv and ESPN U through Roku (yes, it's subscription, but still lower than cable extortion).

You can take my chocolate for Lent, but I'm keeping the Roku!

posted by oldhometown on Mar 09, 2011 at 04:46:56 pm     #

Chocolate, for me.

"Do it...FREE YOURSELF FROM CABLE!"

Can't do it yet. Close, though. Very close. Sick of all the infomercials and other programming!

posted by bikerdude on Mar 09, 2011 at 04:59:58 pm     #

I guess I'm hooked on the education shows on cable/satellite. Discovery, Smithsonian, HGTV etc. Wouldn't be with them.
If I were to give anything up for lent it would be complaining. Try to find a positive somewhere.

posted by holland on Mar 09, 2011 at 05:04:44 pm     #

To be more patient in traffic. I'm not a road rager, but my blood pressure probably shoots up when I'm driving behind someone going 20 mph under the speed limit.

posted by renegade on Mar 09, 2011 at 06:43:55 pm     #

I'm going to give up Jesus for Lent...

But in all seriousness, I'm not going to give up anything.

posted by hunkytownsausage on Mar 09, 2011 at 07:29:56 pm     #

Going vegetarian.

posted by KertapNohj on Mar 09, 2011 at 08:07:59 pm     #

Good for you. I wish I had the willpower.

posted by holland on Mar 09, 2011 at 08:24:04 pm     #

Just about everything I've ever lent someone, ended up being something I've just given up.

posted by Wulf on Mar 09, 2011 at 09:13:33 pm     #

^^Buddy Hackett, everyone!!! Let's give him a nice round of applause!!! :)

posted by oldhometown on Mar 09, 2011 at 09:27:53 pm     #

He is here til Sunday, try the veal.

posted by Ryan on Mar 09, 2011 at 09:45:52 pm     #